Blood and gore

Poll

Do blood and gore belong in Blockland?

Yes
97 (42.4%)
No
132 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Blood and gore  (Read 9310 times)

The latest update has made default a feature that some of us, myself included, are uneasy about.  Blood and gore are now officially part of the vanilla Blockland.  Sure, it's only in one gamemode, and only caused by two specific types of death, but the fact remains that players can explode into a shower of blood and leave behind a bloody, limbless, and apparently skinless corpse in the unmodded game.

The question comes to you, Blocklanders.  Do you think this feature of blood and gore enhances the game in some way?  Perhaps you think it's awesome, or even hilarious.  Or is it totally without sense and out of place in a cute, cartoonish, toy-themed game like Blockland?  Perhaps disturbing?  Argue about it and call each other names Discuss.

If you think it's disturbing you're too easily offended, and maybe stupid too
It's just a game addon with virtual (not even realistic looking) blood

It's just a game addon with virtual (not even realistic looking) blood
True, but it's still pretty out of place. And in a game that attracts 8-10 year olds, it doesn't seem completely appropriate. I just don't think that sort of thing belongs in something like Blockland. If any different kind of death should be implemented, I think it should be one like in the Lego Star Wars games, where the mini-fig falls apart.

If you think it's disturbing you're too easily offended, and maybe stupid too

Finding something disturbing and being offended by it are wholly separate concepts.  It takes some pretty nasty, hateful stuff to offend me.  Cute little toy people exploding into skinless corpses, however, is a pretty disturbing cake no matter how you slice it, and it doesn't fit the game's style at all.

I feel the same way, but now that it's put in the game, I highly doubt it will be removed.

As stated before,

Falling into pick-up-able-and-throw-able, damaging pieces is the best way to go.

Blood and gore never appealed to me.

I don't really think it fits with the game style, but as an Add-on it makes me feel different about it. You would be able to choose to use it, or not to.

so you're complaining that just "because it's there in the game" that it's worth being uneasy about.

one gamemode, two ways of making it occur, you said so yourself. i don't think it's a big deal, and the average age of the community of blockland is well over the age that people get over some fake blood.

You would be able to choose to use it, or not to.
that's a good idea.

You would be able to choose to use it, or not to.
This is probably best.  I'm not one for the complete and total removal of anything from a game if some people still want it, but it shouldn't be default, even if it is just for one gamemode.

I feel the same way, but now that it's put in the game, I highly doubt it will be removed.

I couldn't resist and I apologize.

Do we really need a thread about every feature that was obviously added to the game when we have a dev thread for it?

Do we really need a thread about every feature that was obviously added to the game when we have a dev thread for it?

No.  But when a specific issue needs to be addressed, starting a new thread is preferable to letting the discussion get buried under 10 other subjects within the same thread.  Besides, this has a poll!

No.  But when a specific issue needs to be addressed, starting a new thread is preferable to letting the discussion get buried under 10 other subjects within the same thread.  Besides, this has a poll!
because blockland polls are always going to be accurate...

Question: Why can't we just have the player fall into physics pieces of what they were built of like in the Lego games?

Question: Why can't we just have the player fall into physics pieces of what they were built of like in the Lego games?
As stated before,

Falling into pick-up-able-and-throw-able, damaging pieces is the best way to go.

Blood and gore never appealed to me.

I have always hated the blood and gore mod on here. As a rule I don't like it in any game but IMO Blockland is the last game that should have it. It's a building game with LEGO like bricks for crying out loud, not HALO or CoD. I think Plastiware said it best:

Blockland players are cute, cartoony, plastic toys.  For them to explode into a shower of blood and leave a bloody, limbless corpse is both disturbing and entirely out of place.