Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 34368 times)

Ephialtes, you're doing this cause you want to. You love the community even though some people can't understand that.
forget all of the wannabe's.

#YOLO.
it was so good until that last part.

#YOLO.
You murdered a would-be epic speech.

Congrats. :c

Thing is, you all love RTB until this day for what Ephialtes has offered to you guys. I think that without RTB you wouldn't really be able to communicate with each other :/.

I was planning on using my 9999th post for something else, but okay.
RTB is and will probably stay for a long while, the best social based mod for Blockland.

Many RTB users may have rolled in from the mod manager part, where they downloaded RTB to manage their add-ons, download them in-game or something like that.
But what makes RTB better then just a better add-on manager is the social part.
What started out as an IRC function ingame, now transformed into something seen in Steam.
A full blown chat system.

With this we can talk to friends that we met in-game or we already knew.
We can now talk to them in private while playing on the server or better, while playing in other servers.
We can invite them to our game, join the server our friends are on and all that.

Now a couple of people have tried to start an alternative, Blockland Cloud for example.
And if you look at it, RTB is replacable.
But RTB also stands for quality for most of the people.
I know some will quote this message with something like: "Pfft, sure..."
But i know that i am not the only one who thinks that.

Ephialtes really worked hard on this to make this a good quality service and continues to improve the service.
On top of that Ephialtes also listens to what is going on in the community even though some people might think different.
RTB's latest 'child', RTB's hosting service is a good example of that.
While some people might think it was done because Kalphiter was doing very well with his, this is partially true.

Kalphiter's hosting (Kaphost?) was of a good quality overall, some situations may have been less... fortunate than others, but still of a good quality.
But with the succes of Kaphost and the continued cries for such services, Ephialtes responded with RTB's hosting service.
Jumping in on the public's demand for such hosting services, with the RTB logo, almost promosing quality hosting services.
And if you look what they did for the hosting services, you can't say they didn't try hard to fulfill this expectation.

Ephialtes continues to listen to the public for feedback on the RTB services, expanding on them accordingly.
And for that, he has done quite good.
I can do nothing more then respect his work and the time he spends on the RTB services.
I couldn't do it myself, i know that.

So yeah, some might consider this post as a richard sucking of Ephi.
Well okay then, i admire his dedication and amount of work he put in all the stuff he does.
So what. :)

Tl;Dr 10/10, would support RTB again.

-snip-
Yeah, he's done some pretty good stuff (mod manager, arguably hosting). Great. He's also reinvented some wheels that didn't really need to be reinvented (RTBC/Jabber/XMPP). Not great, but not too bad either.

That's not what annoys me about RTB.

What annoys me about RTB is the hostility displayed by both Ephialtes and others (Sunny's post is the perfect example of this) to anyone making something that might compete with some RTB functionality. Yes, I understand that there are cases where it's good to have a single of something (because of the network effect), but some parts of RTB could be improved substantially for some cases (for example, remote updating of mods on dedicated servers). That specific example also shows a certain conflict of interest, since Ephi has something to gain from that remaining RTB hosting-exclusive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:04:31 AM by DontCare4Free »

Yeah, he's done some pretty good stuff (mod manager, arguably hosting). Great. He's also reinvented some wheels that didn't really need to be reinvented (RTBC/Jabber/XMPP). Not great, but not too bad either.

That's not what annoys me about RTB.

What annoys me about RTB is the hostility displayed by both Ephialtes and others (Sunny's post is the perfect example of this) to anyone making something that might compete with some RTB functionality. Yes, I understand that there are cases where it's good to have a single of something (because of the network effect), but some parts of RTB could be improved substantially for some cases (for example, remote updating of mods on dedicated servers). That specific example also shows a certain conflict of interest, since Ephi has something to gain from that remaining RTB hosting-exclusive.

I looked at XMPP as a protocol but it didn't suit how Blockland works. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to make a custom protocol to ensure that the functionality of the chat server directly relates to it's purpose. I understand you're mad that it's essentially a closed protocol at the moment but it certainly isn't a re-invention of the wheel or a waste of time.

Your second claim about me being anti-competition for RTB is essentially bullstuff. Ideally I'd love for someone to step in and make something hundreds of times better than RTB - that would be absolutely amazing - I'd be able to walk away with all the profit I've made from RTB and retire on a beach somewhere happily in the Carribean.

There's no conspiracy to make RTB functionality exclusive to RTB hosting. Remote updating of mods on dedicated servers doesn't exist on the RTB hosting service either. It's just a reasonably lesser-used feature I just haven't had the time to get around to making. At the moment I'm focusing on the improvements to the chat service which will benefit all of the users instead of a small sub-section that run dedicated servers.

I've said time and again that the RTB hosting service is non-profit - I've got nothing to gain from getting more users on it. I've also said time and again that I do have plans to make as much of the RTB hosting backend technology freely available for people hosting dedicated servers themselves.

You should probably read around more before trying to paint me as some shady profiteer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:22:16 AM by Ephialtes »

On another topic I totally get that there's a fair bit of justified frustration about the mod reviewing delays on the add-on hosting system at the moment. I've put some time aside this weekend to make the necessary fixes and improvements to the moderation panel to allow me to get the mod reviewers I mentioned ages ago being able to actually review stuff. I'll also have a clean out of the backlog.

Anything still waiting for processing at the moment will probably be removed due to either being too low in quality or a crap submission in terms of details, description and pictures.

I've said time and again that the RTB hosting service is non-profit - I've got nothing to gain from getting more users on it.
I must have missed this. The last time I read you talking about the service you said it was going to pay for the rest of RTB. Was a while ago though, so it might be sarcasm or my bad memory.

I've also said time and again that I do have plans to make as much of the RTB hosting backend technology freely available for people hosting dedicated servers themselves.
Great.

There's no conspiracy to make RTB functionality exclusive to RTB hosting. Remote updating of mods on dedicated servers doesn't exist on the RTB hosting service either. It's just a reasonably lesser-used feature I just haven't had the time to get around to making. At the moment I'm focusing on the improvements to the chat service which will benefit all of the users instead of a small sub-section that run dedicated servers.
Your record shows that you care more for a paid service than for the community. Your lying is easily detectable.

...I just haven't had the time to get around to making.
Do you plan on having time eventually?

Your record shows that you care more for a paid service than for the community. Your lying is easily detectable.

Obviously I have to prioritise something people pay for over something people get for free, then act like cunts about it. I've now banned you from the last remaining part of RTB that you weren't already banned from because I'm sick to death of you. Now that you can't even access the API ingame I guess there's nothing left for you to complain about. Off you go!

Fan art:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:04:21 PM by Ephialtes »

Do you plan on having time eventually?
Well, at least Ephi spends time on his projects instead of stalking other people's projects.

It's like Ephialtes is really asking for RTB to be replaced. I'm won't be surprised when that happens because RTB is practically frozen.

Well, at least Ephi spends time on his projects instead of stalking other people's projects.
Spends time on his projects?

kalph
stfu
I'm so sorry that my arguments are offensive to you.

Ideally I'd love for someone to step in and make something hundreds of times better than RTB - that would be absolutely amazing

It's like Ephialtes is really asking for RTB to be replaced.

Your powers of deduction are impressive!