Author Topic: Coding challenge?  (Read 2465 times)

What about a special kind of Gamemode scripting challenge?  I think that Blockland could use a bit more variety.  For instance, I think a gameshow server might be neat.
Like Garrysmod Fretta?

Well don't to put a clamp on creativity too quickly.  That's half the challenge!  All that needs to be different is that it would need to be original, new, creative, unique to Blockland, and easy enough for the community to use.

Gamemode to access other gamemodes/things, like the old pod addon. would be nice for a revival.

never had the chance to try out the pod ;(

sounds cool, maybe
Possible challenge:
navigate a race track with bot ai
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:06:09 PM by MARBLE MAN »

Gamemode to access other gamemodes/things, like the old pod addon. would be nice for a revival.

never had the chance to try out the pod ;(
The pod? What's that :x

Well don't to put a clamp on creativity too quickly.  That's half the challenge!  All that needs to be different is that it would need to be original, new, creative, unique to Blockland, and easy enough for the community to use.
Of course I won't! There needs to be some sort of restrictions though in order to prevent people from just using old mods and in order to make the results a bit more manageable.

sounds cool, maybe
Possible challenge:
navigate a race track with bot ai
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=216752.0
?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:09:52 PM by DYLANzzz »

The pod? What's that :x
I can't find the topic, but someone coded a mod where instead of starting up blockland and getting a main menu, it automatically opened up a server, loaded a build (you make and event), and within that build you'd put evented bricks to open up "join a game," "options," "credits," or "start a game" or just immediately freebuild on and around the pod.

Basically, like the pod from LBP but in blockland.

I can't find the topic, but someone coded a mod where instead of starting up blockland and getting a main menu, it automatically opened up a server, loaded a build (you make and event), and within that build you'd put evented bricks to open up "join a game," "options," "credits," or "start a game" or just immediately freebuild on and around the pod.

Oh yeah, didn't Amade make that? I think I still have it somewhere.

It was called blockland hub, I believe

I'm very interested in a coding challenge, whether its making external tools or a in game mods. I like all the ideas in the thread so far, especially the noncombat focused gamemode one. I'd be willing to donate too once I know the challenge.

Heres a suggestion off the top of my head, you should probably not make it part of the first challenge since it requires people to stick around:
You could have one challenge with multiple rounds. Each round would build off scripts in the previous one with the idea being that you'll make something interesting using all the previous scripts in the last round So say, we want to make a movie studio mod. Each round would potentially be making different types of bot actions. Another would be making a gui to control the bots. The final round would be putting the gui and bots together, maybe adding save/loading support to the scripts.