Author Topic: Blockland Gamepad - Completed for the most part (1 bug left)  (Read 2997 times)

A physical item that allows you to play ingame!
Basically once upon a time Mr. Brian Smith wanted to make something that allows him to control Blockland with something that isn't a loving keyboard. Well, his dream has come true. This device is about the dimensions of a SNES control but a little longer, and it has a joystick, 4 buttons, a linear potentiometer (a line you drag back and forth), an accelerometer , a microphone and a light censor. You plug it in via usb and you play away!

Planned Controls/Progress
Joystick - Looking - Complete.
Joystick Button - Fire - Complete
Buttons - Moving - Complete
Slider - Scrolling - Complete
Accelerometer - Jumping/Crouching - Complete but a bit buggy.

Ill post pictures when my phone charges.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:25:39 PM by Perlin Noise »

blockland is kinda like arma 2, where lots of the keys on the keyboard are mapped. this will be pretty hard to do.

blockland is kinda like arma 2, where lots of the keys on the keyboard are mapped. this will be pretty hard to do.
this will probably not be for people looking to actually build, but people who do TDMs will be able to use this wisely, since the Slider on it will serve as a scroll button, so you can choose your weapons like that, the only thing I need is something to make it easier to grip the joystick.

Wait, so you're actually going to design, manufacture and sell this?

Doubtful, but if you want it, the parts (I get it preassembled because I suck at soldering) cost $70 in total, not counting shipping and handling.

It's not as a difficult as you might imagine; you can buy most/all of the components from sites like this and libraries are typically provided so writing the software isn't so time-consuming.

Sounds cool, hopefully you can pull it off.

So far moving, looking and clicking are done.
I'm about to test ingame.

pics please
Eventually, right now it is just a raw circuit board, I want to get a sort of case for it so it looks nice.

Ok, heres the progress report/what I plan
Everything planned is done. The scrolling works (a little sensitive) and the joystick stuff and buttons work.
The accelerometer will be for jumping/crouching.

It's not as a difficult as you might imagine; you can buy most/all of the components from sites like this and libraries are typically provided so writing the software isn't so time-consuming.
I use an Arduino for this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:09:03 PM by Perlin Noise »