Author Topic: Blockland mod market system?  (Read 13452 times)

No one can or should help someone script an event that literally runs another game on a screen in-game.

I don't know what he was suggesting, but it doesn't mean that people should be harrasing him over it. Sorry that was off topic, my bad :p.

I don't know what he was suggesting, but it doesn't mean that people should be harrasing him over it. Sorry that was off topic, my bad :p.

Not that it was intentional, but my post that you attacked was actually defending your thread.

Just gonna emphasize the "unintentional".

I have not seen a single supporter but you. Lok this topic, any payed mods are as worthless as stuff and it is in no way at all possible without a huge overhaul which won't happen to implement this. Not even your nitwit dad could do it.

PM me when this comes true, I'll make you a great mod for some money!  :cookieMonster:

It's actually really funny how the same people arguing against this are also against pirating the base game. Are you also saying "nobody should do a HIB because everyone would just pirate it."? At least be consistent.

While I personally probably wouldn't either buy anything (since paying for stuff online is a quite big hassle for me, regardless of cost), and I probably wouldn't charge for any of my mods either (since they're either really small, or framework mods where adoption (and the network effect) would create a chicken-and-egg problem), I'm not saying that nobody should be able to do this.

Also, to the people saying they would pay for RTB, no, you probably wouldn't. Why? I suspect tons of people (including me) would pull their add-ons from there the instant Ephi announced something like that, because they're not fine with other people (Ephi) making money from their non-commercial work, leading to an (almost) empty mod manager. Since RTB prefs would no longer be a reliable way to expose settings to people, expect that to be far less used, too. Oh, and RTBC? For it to be worth it, people have to be using it. Considering the almost 100% overlap, who would pay for that instead of just using Steam?

Theres nothing wrong with the idea that mod makers should be able to make money off of their mods. Some have spent an enormous amount of time into them, me being one. However, Blockland just doesn't have the right setup for that.

If you're going to charge for an add-on, it needs to be a small price. Also, it needs to only be for people who want to host with it. Now the problem is, the Blockland hoster community isn't large enough to support a small fee. You also need to acknowledge that most people will not want to pay. For those who have jobs, it won't be a problem, but most people here don't. Their parents also aren't going to just dump money on the game they already purchased.

If the game was large enough, even if you still had these issues, you might get enough people to buy your mod so that it's worth it. Otherwise, the revenue you make wouldn't be worth the time that needs to be invested to actually make a good mod. Once you're working professionally, you get paid at least $20 an hour. To make a good mod on here you need to put in several days worth of work. Just one day of concentrated work would be over $100. The mods I'd pay for probably have months of work put into them (I'm not paying for a weapon or vehicle.)

Theres nothing wrong with the idea that mod makers should be able to make money off of their mods. Some have spent an enormous amount of time into them, me being one. However, Blockland just doesn't have the right setup for that.

If you're going to charge for an add-on, it needs to be a small price. Also, it needs to only be for people who want to host with it. Now the problem is, the Blockland hoster community isn't large enough to support a small fee. You also need to acknowledge that most people will not want to pay. For those who have jobs, it won't be a problem, but most people here don't. Their parents also aren't going to just dump money on the game they already purchased.

If the game was large enough, even if you still had these issues, you might get enough people to buy your mod so that it's worth it. Otherwise, the revenue you make wouldn't be worth the time that needs to be invested to actually make a good mod. Once you're working professionally, you get paid at least $20 an hour. To make a good mod on here you need to put in several days worth of work. Just one day of concentrated work would be over $100. The mods I'd pay for probably have months of work put into them (I'm not paying for a weapon or vehicle.)
Thank you for summing up my opinion on this pretty much perfectly. Well, with two things to add:

First, with the only-for-hosters part, I disagree. While it makes sense for most "symbiosis mods" (mods that consist of both a client and a server mod, the ones that tried to charge clients would need to be truly exceptional in order for both the host and the client to want to pay for it), I also believe that there are cases where this doesn't apply. For example, purely client-sided mods that might, for example, add a massive enhancement on top of the current eventing UI, or mods where progressive UI enhancement makes sense, similarly to Mac OS X's Growl (which has pretty much all customization options disabled in the free version).

Additionally, regarding payments, there's the problem of that while I could easily pay the cash occasionally, there is no good way for me to pay that money over the internet; all banks over here consider internet payments 18+ (although, at least my bank, funilly enough offers transmitting money over the internet between two Swedish phone numbers a free service for 13-18), and if you accept iTunes gift cards as payments then I don't want to buy whatever you're selling anyway.

so you want to loving pay for free stuff?

who the loving stuff would want that

so you want to loving pay for free stuff?

who the loving stuff would want that

NOBODY.

except op for some reason

did anyone in this thread actually agree with op or is he alone on this one