Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 352168 times)

i love that trailer dude!

I actually had an idea for a boss early on that would have an evil laugh which would then be spelled out, and the letters would attack you. But this was back when it was the @Team.
That sounds amazing lol
The trailer looks astonishing, it has some humor which starts the trailer on a good foot
i love that trailer dude!

Did more rough cutting of the trailer, most of the footage is still place holder but the speed and pace is going to be about the same.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rotondo/255782852?token=0397d323

I'm worried that it's going to be hard to summarize some features in 5 seconds, with current song I can do 12 features at 5 seconds each.

I can also double the feature to 10 seconds but that might break the flow of the trailer a bit.

I really like how the transition on the procedural dungeon part came out, but I worry even when I reshoot it at the correct camera speed, ( instead of speeding the footage up ), it'll be too fast.

I think that's really quite good so far.
The start is great, especially since you show off the comic side of the game, and the ability to pick up people/things, which I honestly think is one of the most interesting gameplay mechanics in the game.

The two custom character scenes work really well, and the panning over the room full of characters is good at a high speed. Means you don't really get a grasp of how many characters there are in it, but it's clearly a lot, which just shows how much room there is for design.

The procedural dungeons section is really good, especially that it shows off some of the different dungeon themes, without dedicating a specific section to the fact that there are different themes.

The music is really good, and the speed for it is great too.

As for needing to summarise all the features in your 60 seconds, maybe that's not necessary.
Would it be more feasible to have this more condensed punchy trailer, and then later have a longer trailer (maybe 2 minutes), that shows off more features with more time.

the trailer looks really nice so far
also, you should add previews of the game music, a kickstarter for LISA did that

I think that's really quite good so far.
The start is great, especially since you show off the comic side of the game, and the ability to pick up people/things, which I honestly think is one of the most interesting gameplay mechanics in the game.

The two custom character scenes work really well, and the panning over the room full of characters is good at a high speed. Means you don't really get a grasp of how many characters there are in it, but it's clearly a lot, which just shows how much room there is for design.

The procedural dungeons section is really good, especially that it shows off some of the different dungeon themes, without dedicating a specific section to the fact that there are different themes.

The music is really good, and the speed for it is great too.

As for needing to summarise all the features in your 60 seconds, maybe that's not necessary.
Would it be more feasible to have this more condensed punchy trailer, and then later have a longer trailer (maybe 2 minutes), that shows off more features with more time.

Thanks for the feedback, the start I need to make as catching as possible since most people give up after the first 10 seconds if it's not interesting.

But yeah I probably should just try to make this trailer as juicy and packed as possible, then I can do a more full out gameplay trailer later.

the trailer looks really nice so far
also, you should add previews of the game music, a kickstarter for LISA did that

This is a great idea, except I have only checked with the guy who did the main menu theme so he's the only confirmed one. I'm not sure if I'm going to ask the guys who did the other placeholder music, or use all from that one guy. But I'll definitely put the main menu theme up on the kickstarter page with a link to the guys work.

----

So I now have a rough idea about how the trailer is going to go, and the pacing seems to work ok.

Starting now I'm going to be trying to focus down on each 5 second segment tying to make it as strong as possible.

First up I'm going to do the weapons,

I think I actually already have to reshoot this one lol, the guys are a little out of view and one of zangiefs targets doesn't get fully destroyed.

omg the hammer looks so hype

I think you should try and use as many different character-skins as possible.
So, rather than using the wizard twice, use a different skin, to really drive home how much variety there is.

no no zangief not wholly destroying a target is actually really cool, it shows that there's a level of depth to damage that certain entities can express

it borders on a freeze frame bonus

Here's a thought. Instead of permanently destroying pixels on player characters, tint them red, then maybe destroy them after.

Here's a thought. Instead of permanently destroying pixels on player characters, tint them red, then maybe destroy them after.
Would that not be wasted on characters who are already predominantly red coloured?

I think you should try and use as many different character-skins as possible.
So, rather than using the wizard twice, use a different skin, to really drive home how much variety there is.

Yeah this is a good idea, each feature scene should have a good variety.

no no zangief not wholly destroying a target is actually really cool, it shows that there's a level of depth to damage that certain entities can express

it borders on a freeze frame bonus

That's a good idea, but the objects taking two hits already shows that enough I think, in the old gif it looks like the hit misses... because it does miss lol.

I would love to implement a freeze frame to hits, but I'm not sure how to do that over network, I can have it freeze your animation and the enemies perhaps. But again that might be weird to sync properly.

----

Finished the weapons scene, overlay text is going to change eventually but the scenes are solid I think.

Would that not be wasted on characters who are already predominantly red coloured?
I suppose, yes, but in that case you could have a tarnishing effect
Take the color of the voxel. If its red component is over a certain threshhold, darken instead

man the trailer on the kickstarter is really good
i am now really hyped for this game

pledging $13 when this stuff goes live