Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 346673 times)

Another new shot:

I changed up the path generator a bit, so now cool things like this can generate.

The new GUI looks really lovey.

I'm happy you like it.

Bit more info:

The gold, strength, and shield rating are going to soon be context sensitive so they'll hide out of view when not relevant.

I think I'm going to change to a new font as well, not really a fan of the old atari font I've been using.

Making a gui I don't hate is hard, since I'm not particularly well versed in them.

I think he means invincibility frames after getting hit
that i do

the gradient on the health and mana bar look really out of place with everything else being just flat colors

edit: i guess the scaling on the image just messes it up. looks fine 100%

Another new shot:

you have a lot of health

can the health bar extend past the window

that i do

Since your character already flashes bright colors I don't want to overwhelm the player with a gui indication as well.

Though it might be a good idea to make the damage flash that happens to players different from what happens to monsters.

the gradient on the health and mana bar look really out of place with everything else being just flat colors

edit: i guess the scaling on the image just messes it up. looks fine 100%

I actually want to change the whole hud from being solid colors, it doesn't fit as well now that the game has more detailed lighting and stuff.

Also there is still a bit of an issue when I don't have it pixel perfect scale, I want to make it so I can make it 14 pixels tall if I want since that seems to fit the gui more.

you have a lot of health

can the health bar extend past the window

I actually spent the past year developing special window tech that allows me to render outside the window, your lifebar can extend into next week!

Anyway, that was just a test, it's not actually going to go that long as it's pretty distracting.

Since we're working with a bigger dungeon layout I improved the paths a bit so they're now a bit exciting.

*Lighting turned off so you could see it better

Are you going to change up the default tile set so that every floor isn't a mirror?

Are you going to change up the default tile set so that every floor isn't a mirror?

Most floors are probably going to have some reflection because it looks cool and actually helps gameplay a lot at times.

In some areas like the woods it's not going to make sense but yeah I'll figure something out.

I was always a huge fan of this effect in 3d dot game heroes so I've been abusing it in every area so far lol.

Though even 3d dot heroes didn't use it on the overworld grass areas.

3d dot game heroes was such a good game, one of the images you posted reminded me of the reflections the dungeons had
and also
will there be different GUI layouts if some prefer a different one? (ex. the old one we had) will the options be default and can others mod the GUI how they like it?

The health bar now gradually goes up when you get health as well, and I experimented with making it a bit pixel snappy.

Not sure if I like the snapping as much as the smooth.
if you want snappy, make it look like a chunk falls off each time it snaps

how about a style that's both smooth and choppy?

basically the column of pixels fade away into the next one. i hope that explains what I'm saying if not I could whip up a gif later on

Heck yes.

I thought of a neat idea while brainstorming health bars, one was a voxel based one which as you took damage it broke away.

The neat part would be that the pixels that broke away from your health would show up in world, it could be really cool but I'm good with what we have for now as it's informative.

Edit: Also next update for beta is going to be mostly refinement of gameplay and retooling of some systems.

So no woods theme yet, even though there has been progress on it.

...Also Badspot and I have a booth at PAX East again this year, I should probably make a post about that on the development board at some point.

Edit 2: There's going to be new trading cards to collect this year as well, how exciting!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:36:52 PM by Rotondo »

I came back to this game's thread after several days (or months) and i was not disappointed

Good job, Rotondo