The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release

Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 346676 times)

I wanted to see exactly how the game would look like with max reflections.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:52:39 AM by Emgiell »

Poor Badspot, losing his hair... Like my dad, his hair is slowly disappearing, he'll be bald in a few years I think.

I've got a 28 year old cousin who's gone bald.

any progress update? it's starting to get into may...!

any progress update? it's starting to get into may...!

There's been some good progress, I still need to put out a proper update talking about the music + new items + recent beta update changes.

Sadly I'm still partially recovering from PAX East, I just got a normal cold from the show but it really drained me physically.

Also a lot of stuff happening that I can't talk about yet, at least I'm not sure if I can.

Nothing too terribly exciting, but just to dispel publisher talk it's not that.

I'm most likely not going to go with a publisher for this game, partially due to being kickstarted but also I don't know if they'd be able to truly benefit the game.

Edit: Also fun timing my chair is now barely usable, I have a new chair coming sometime this week so that'll also help me get back on track.

Someone had asked me to ask here,

"why he used torque game engine instead of Torque 3D"

So now I'm quite curious, do you have a specific reason?

Someone had asked me to ask here,

"why he used torque game engine instead of Torque 3D"

So now I'm quite curious, do you have a specific reason?

Short answer: Torque 3D sucks.

Long answer: For all the good that torque 3D does, it also breaks a lot of stuff and is somewhat unstable. ( Going by what I tried about a year ago )

Torque 1.3 and 1.42 are generally the strongest versions in my opinion. As they are the least broken by default, and don't have a lot of stuff layered on top of already existing code.

Torque 1.5 also added a lot of good stuff, and fixes. However it's marred by somewhat poorer performance overall, though if you end up removing all stock rendering like I did it's a moot point.

In the end it doesn't really matter as I was going to roll my own rendering code anyway, so I just stuck with what I was most comfortable with/I knew crashed the least stock which was 1.3.

Also old torque has the added benefit of running on almost everything.

Really though engine choice doesn't matter, as long as what you're using has the features you require and you are proficient in it.

Edit: Just as further note I think most engines out there are kinda crappy, but most function decently enough. Each has their positives and negatives.

And me saying Torque 3D sucks is mostly just a jab at the sheer amount of people who have told Badspot and I over the years to upgrade Blockland.

Which I always find hilarious as it'd literally take years and the game wouldn't look any different, in fact it'd probably run a little worse and we'd lose the ability to port it.

Edit 2: This turned into a giant page of wobbly writing, but I wanted to add one more thing. I think they actually greatly improved Torque 3D over the past 4 years since I started working on the initial prototype of @Team. I believe there's even one or two games on steam that utilize the engine that are doing pretty well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:06:58 PM by Rotondo »

Out of curiosity, what version of TGE is Blockland using? Just for comparison.

Out of curiosity, what version of TGE is Blockland using? Just for comparison.

1.3 as well.

Edit: Fixed a glitch where you'd hit monsters that were on the bed you were swinging, so now we can wield the ultimate weapon...

The chicken bed sword!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:26:26 PM by Rotondo »

Started experimenting with a Wind Waker style particles

No trans:

Transparency and fade out:

I kinda dig how it looks on the jetpack, definitely going to experiment with this more.

Just wondering, but how come the UI gets simplified with every update?

kinda funky how the reflection changes colour

What you're seeing is mostly the faces on the bottom of the character being suddenly lit up by the lights in them room as the character travels above them.

Just wondering, but how come the UI gets simplified with every update?

Beyond just the old Gui being ugly, I'm slowly shifting the game over to a more "big upgrades" for your character.

So instead of slowly getting +1 strength that does marginal differences, you'd get a stronger powerup that perhaps gives you a big bonus as well as a potential tradeoff.

I've been experimenting a bit with doing passive items like in Spelunky & Binding of Isaac.

Edit: Also due to hilarious oversight the shield attribute/level didn't actually affect the damage you took after a key change in styles a few months ago.

There's a light that follows your player around, but it doesn't appear to go up or down with your character.

Unsure why I made it do that, might change it around.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:46:53 PM by Rotondo »

I put up a new beta build on steam since I submitted the game to indiecade, I wanted to fix a few bugs that were still up.

Though there is a new item for you to find, the z targeting system!

This build also includes the new test particles which are wind waker-esque.

If a few of you could run through to make sure things work I'd appreciate it.