Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 346712 times)

I'm not sure I like your choice to go with 8x8 sprites. They look like pixel mush to me.

these look good enough imo but 16x16 probably might've been a little better

Any ETA when the first playable version will be?

Hopefully sometime this year.

Will the game be free or will we need to wire you our pocket money to get it?

It will cost some amount of money but it won't be super expensive.

I'm not sure I like your choice to go with 8x8 sprites. They look like pixel mush to me.

these look good enough imo but 16x16 probably might've been a little better

I have a few reasons for choosing 8x8 as a base size over 16x16.

• Anyone can make their own sprite since the style is so simple and it's a small space.
  • Easier to render/better performance.
  • Ability to recreate the old ascii style 100% since it matches the pixel density.
  • When you explode a 8x8 sprite you can simulate every pixel as a debris/physics object.

Honestly though if people really want it I can make an option for 16x16 custom skins. Since performance has increased recently, and for the pixel debris I can just limit it to 64 per object or perhaps add a user config option.

----

Edit: small update on my blog just recapping information I already shared around various places, http://www.odnotor.com/post/49150316621/things-in-walls-skins-bows-and-arrows

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:57:55 PM by Rotondo »

do you have any plans of implementing "sprite packs" such as a being able to chose between what appears to be a warrior or archer sprite during gameplay (or does it randomize the player's sprite once they join, ect.?)

also I call for a final fantasy I sprite compilation on the day of release for all those dungeon dives!

fighter
black mage
white mage
black belt
thief
and red mage!

all in all

will it be released on desura or steam?

also, will anything be done to the combat system other than bash+rush?

question: will there be a mage "class" with magic abilities/weapons

there are spell scrolls in the game

I have a thread for sprites if you want it there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:15:41 AM by Fastlex »

looks pretty good
new aesthetics very good

do you have any plans of implementing "sprite packs" such as a being able to chose between what appears to be a warrior or archer sprite during gameplay (or does it randomize the player's sprite once they join, ect.?)

Everything is skinnable, right now it's done via groups and not per sprite. So you could have a Final Fantasy theme pack that would switch all the monsters and items to final fantasy theme.

Sprites and Dungeon skins can be set separately though.

will it be released on desura or steam?

also, will anything be done to the combat system other than bash+rush?

I'm unsure about platforms currently but I'm going to try and get this out there to as many people as possible.

The combat is going to be more fleshed out, while I'm not sure if it's going to go full zelda style it at least has elements of it.

There will be no classes in the game, you must use the items/magic you find along the way to traverse things.

----

New update on the blog, http://www.odnotor.com/post/49878655922/its-a-tarp

I talk a bit about traps and other magical items.

Will we have some way of detecting traps without any special item or something? Seem's kinda hard when they only show up AFTER you activate them.

There will be no classes in the game, you must use the items/magic you find along the way to traverse things.
One of the things I liked the most about the old game was that people could and would fill roles; some would be tanks, others would be melee damage, and others would be ranged damage and mobility.