Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 353746 times)

the pits look great
also this game looks a lot more than decent lol
I can't wait to try this game out, when should another public test be?

I want to do one sometime this week, but I need to get some promotional stuff done soon for Boston FIG.

--

I added jumping back as a feather item, so now jumping can be OP as hell since it's not something you always have.

You can use it to get around the environment a lot easier, and avoid a lot of traps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:21:00 PM by Rotondo »

that roc's feather looks rad

that roc's feather looks rad

I want to name it that so badly but I feel like nintendo doesn't want that lol.

I'm working on the image that's going to be in the booklet for Boston FIG, what do you guys think of it?

I finally fixed up the logo a bit so it's less random density, also this at least gives you an idea of what the game is.

damn that looks awesome

damn that looks awesome

Thanks!

This is what I think I'm going with for the description text, criticism welcome.

The Forgettable Dungeon is an online & offline CO-OP action roguelike, heavily inspired by Zelda and the original Rogue.
Team up with your friends and fight your way through the procedurally generated dungeons, find rare and strange treasures that will help you fight off the hordes of enemies, and find the forbidden amulet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:17:14 PM by Rotondo »

"an online", btw. And would 'dungeons' be more fitting since there are multiple themed levels, or would that be confusing since it's THE forgettable dungeon? I think it would be nice to make it clear that there are different themed areas, especially since most of the game/promo material so far just shows off the starting generic dungeon theme.
I like the look of the image and the rest of the description though.

I also really like the jumping.
Out of curiosity, is it possible to jump while standing still, and if so do you jump forwards or on the spot?

"an online", btw. And would 'dungeons' be more fitting since there are multiple themed levels, or would that be confusing since it's THE forgettable dungeon? I think it would be nice to make it clear that there are different themed areas, especially since most of the game/promo material so far just shows off the starting generic dungeon theme.
I like the look of the image and the rest of the description though.

I also really like the jumping.
Out of curiosity, is it possible to jump while standing still, and if so do you jump forwards or on the spot?

Fixed, that's what happens when you switch something around a lot. Always good to have people check, thanks.

Good call on the dungeons thing, I think that makes sense and gives you an idea that there's more.

You can jump while standing still, currently it doesn't move you forward.

That image looked cool
the description is pretty good, I think it suits how the game plays well
also, on a side note
what about a trade system?
and by that I mean like, finding an NPC (random maybe) which could give you a stronger version of your weapon (like a Lv.2) or a trade sequence like the Biggoron's sword (not as long probably) where you get an extra item that you need to bring to another NPC (multiple different NPCs probably)
There could also be like every themed floor would have a special NPC to talk to in the Hub (if you havnt already)
Lol, almost every post I make on this thread I give an idea for a mechanic. I hope its not bothering you

That image looked cool
the description is pretty good, I think it suits how the game plays well
also, on a side note
what about a trade system?
and by that I mean like, finding an NPC (random maybe) which could give you a stronger version of your weapon (like a Lv.2) or a trade sequence like the Biggoron's sword (not as long probably) where you get an extra item that you need to bring to another NPC (multiple different NPCs probably)
There could also be like every themed floor would have a special NPC to talk to in the Hub (if you havnt already)
Lol, almost every post I make on this thread I give an idea for a mechanic. I hope its not bothering you

I actually really want to have a cool secret quest similar to the Biggoron's sword, I loved that quest when I was a kid hopefully I can fit something like it in my game.

Right now I'm finally getting the gameplay finalized, when that's all done then I'm going to start working on a few NPC's to add some flavor to the world.

Don't worry about it, I appreciate the ideas and the feedback. After all, you guys have suggested some really cool stuff that I've implemented over development.

I don't know if you're familiar with the Kecleon Shop in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, but I think that's a good concept that could translate well.

Basically it's a chance for a floor to spawn with a big room with an outlined area in it.
In that area are randomly generated items, like weapons, tools, potions, etc. If you pick up (or use) an item from the shop and leave the area you're stopped and asked if you're going to pay for the items. If you choose yes the cost comes from your rupees. If no and you don't return it (or can't) then shopkeep enemies spawn across the floor and seek you out, so you have to defeat them or quickly escape that floor.

I think something like that would be a decent intro of a recurring npc plus a shop feature.
Also with your current gameplay I think it would be hilarious for a random enemy to unwittingly steal something from the shop and then be hunted down by the shopkeeps.

I think something like that would be a decent intro of a recurring npc plus a shop feature.
Also with your current gameplay I think it would be hilarious for a random enemy to unwittingly steal something from the shop and then be hunted down by the shopkeeps.
This gave me a spelunky vibe too, as I've never played a mystery dungeon game (yet)
But yeah if you steal an item from a randomly generated shop, and don't pay when you leave the floor (or shop)
shopkeepers try to hunt you down, on the next floor they start to appear, like 1-3 per floor maybe
But if a monster is getting hunted, as a real time event, that would be kinda cool
the keepers would give a reward for the return of their goods
also real time events should be a thing, sounds pretty cool

I finally fixed up the logo a bit so it's less random density, also this at least gives you an idea of what the game is.
Ash finally became the best, like no one ever was.

Could use some more player characters in the picture to show more player customization.

I want to name it that so badly but I feel like nintendo doesn't want that lol.

Stone's Feather?
Roll's Feather?