Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Early Access Release  (Read 346630 times)

to balance out the jetpack, maybe give it like a set amount of fuel (that could be purchased from the shopkeeper) or alternatively, a chance to explode after a period of extended use

No respectable game is complete without a jetpack!

okay like this is spelunky just admit it

add a shotgun already

also on an unrelated note, when do we backers get to create our rooms/content? with the game design nearing its final form, it seems the majority of what's left is just bugs and content.

Hopefully soon, since as you said the design is starting to wind down. Things are starting to feel really solid.

....shotgun you say hmm...

will more level themes be added after release? because right now it sounds like it's just cellar, ice, and forest, and then that's the end of the game

At minimum for release I need to have 4 themes + a secret unlock theme. As well as numerous hidden levels and various content.

With the revamps I've been doing to gameplay, the graphics, and overall everything we're not going to be able to make the may release date as predicted on the Kickstarter.

But overall I think it's a great thing, as the game is getting much better.

Some of the stretch goals will have to be added after release though, mainly the open world hub.

to balance out the jetpack, maybe give it like a set amount of fuel (that could be purchased from the shopkeeper) or alternatively, a chance to explode after a period of extended use

The way it works now you run out after a few seconds of jetpacking, then your fuel resets when you touch the ground.

Going to have another fun thing to show tomorrow hopefully.

I'd really like to get the update to the beta out before PAX but I'm going to fully concentrate on PAX stuff so it may not happen.

No respectable game is complete without a jetpack!

you're also forgetting the speedrun teleporters that instantly kill you if you teleport into a wall

At minimum for release I need to have 4 themes + a secret unlock theme. As well as numerous hidden levels and various content.

With the revamps I've been doing to gameplay, the graphics, and overall everything we're not going to be able to make the may release date as predicted on the Kickstarter.

will there be functionality for a run to be endless/mod more themes into it?

you're also forgetting the speedrun teleporters that instantly kill you if you teleport into a wall

I honestly can't think of a neat way to apply a teleporter to this game, jetpack is even a stretch but it's fun to control.

Not sure how you'd do a teleporter.

will there be functionality for a run to be endless/mod more themes into it?

I'm hoping, if not at release definitely after.

This item still needs some work, but it's super fun to use so far.

Surprised it took me this long to add dash boots lol.

Definitely need to add some weight to them, and more of a startup.

Edit: also that sprite is temporary, I just had that in the folder for a while.

Seems a bit strange to add something like that in a game with small rooms

foreshadowing

This item still needs some work, but it's super fun to use so far.

-snip-

Room size is increased in the next update, also paths are bigger and more varied.

Plus dash boots are less a movement thing and more a short charge attack in this game, fun to smash things with though.

arena mode

This is going to be fun to work on, I think I'm just going to have all the game modes accessible from within the inn.

So if you wanted to deathmatch you just go to a different room you unlocked.

This is more boot like I guess, hard to make such a small sprite resemble not only a boot but a speedy boot.

Make it green.

This isn't a super exciting update but this is just a note for game designers, always try to look at a bug as a feature.

Originally there was a bug that placed these empty paths on the dungeon, that were surrounded by pits.

Instead of removing this I decided to actually implement it as a feature, and put items on the pit paths.

Which then lead to me adding items at the end of some winding paths, which uses basically the same detection code.

It's a small detail but I feel like these things add up over time.

What about adding invisible paths that become more opaque as you get near the tiles? You could have items in the middle of a pit and the player would have to find the path to get there