North - MOD REALEASED TO THE PUBLIC (Download below!)

Poll

Rate the build 1/5.

5/5
4/5
3/5
2/5
1/5

Author Topic: North - MOD REALEASED TO THE PUBLIC (Download below!)  (Read 10252 times)

Visit the gallery thread for more pictures.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=220308.0

What is North?
It was originally intended to be a renaissance-y version of DayZ in the Artic Circle. Although it has changed quite a bit and is now more combat/scavenging based. Weapons are weaker (for everyone) so that it slows down fights. This means no instant sniper kills from 50 miles away.

I am posting a new thread in General Discussion, to bring more popularity to North, and because gallery is mostly about the build. This talks about the elements and items. For pretty pictures, look at the other topic.

World:

Last Man Standing

Last Man Standing is a version of North, without any zombies or food, but still hunger. It has rounds, a time limit, and everyone has 1 life. It is a deathmatch.

Unlike North Survival (Talked about below) no food will spawn outside Bazel. Hunger is still on, and 5x faster than normal. People can only go a few minutes without having to return to Bazel and eat food.

This prevents anyone from hiding and ruining the game. There is still looting, hypothermia, and a map to explore, but you will always have to return to Bazel. The last man left alive wins.

It has all the elements of North - Survival, excluding zombies and food. You can still search for loot and explore, but the stakes will be much higher and PVP is forced.

Bazel Survivors

The Bazel Survivors were citizens of the main town in the game, Bazel. Eastern Bazel is on a small plateau and thus has been mostly boarded off from zombie infested Western Bazel. They are armed, but only with what they can find.

Despite few weapons, they are still the safest camp due to the natural barriers, rather than flimsy wooden ones.

Locksford Military

The Locksford Military were the surviving military officers of the Locksford Military outpost. They are camped up in the mountains with 2 fortresses and 1 camp. One of the fortresses has been overrun by zombies, and armoured ones too. Occasionally a zombie finds their way into the military camp, and rarely kills someone.

They aren't in a great position, but they are heavily armed, being near military outposts. They can manage the zombies.

Travelers

There isn't much to say about these people. They are in the Tavern outside of town, and it's rare that a zombie finds its way there.
They might be armed, if they brought weapons, or they might not be. They can choose from many paths in their current condition.

They rarely see zombies out in the forest.

Weapons

Swords
We currently have 3 tiers of sword, Bronze, Iron, and Steel. There are large damage increases, but we are trying to keep it simple and clear what is better.

Bows
We  have 2 tiers of bow, Hunting, and Military. Hunting is faster but weaker, and military is much stronger and goes farther, but takes a long time to reload and draw.

Armour
We currently have 3 tiers of armour, Unarmoured, Leather, Steel.
Unarmoured is the fastest, but takes very high damage. Leather more than halves original damage taken, and slightly slows you down. Steel cuts it into a less than a third of original damage, but is extremely slow.

Features

Professions
You can pick a job at the start, (Doctor, Military, ect) to determine you're spawning equipment. A doctor could easily get away from a horde as zombies are slow but strong, although they might not be able to get far into areas before fleeing.  A soldier could take many of them out but will eventually fall without medical supplies or a friend.

Body Temperature
It has a body heat script so that in the wilderness you will slowly freeze to death, but if you can find (or make) a fire, you will warm up and slowly regain health. It works as "Heat Zones" (Bricks we place around fires and warm areas.) inside them you slowly regain health and quickly warm up.

Energy
The playertype walks on default so you move slowly. You can run by holding the right mouse button, but your energy will slowly drain. If you continue to move or fight while it is gaining, it will go up slowly. While if you stop, rest, and end movement completely, it will gain very quickly and be full in seconds.

Hunger
You have hunger and hydration, that slowly decrease throughout the game. If it gets low you will begin to take damage. You will find food in the game, and rather than equipping that food item to eat later, it will be transmitted into a number of food amounts. So a potato would be 20, while ribs would be 90. You can then just eat certain pieces of it at a time, so no, you aren't forced to eat the entire stack of ribs.

Looting
We have a looting system, in which "Item Bricks" are placed, which have chances to spawn certain items. So we might place ItemBrick_MilitaryLow in a guard tower, so random lower level military items will spawn there until picked up, in which it will disappear for a few minutes and then randomize again. While ItemBrick_Medical might be placed in a church or pharmacy.

Chat
We have a custom chat script, in which normal chat (T), does a 360 panorama of your view, and anyone that can be seen will get the message. (It appears completely normal to the player.) This means you can have private conversations in rooms, and you wont hear people in the underground tunnels beneath you.
You can speak globally via Teamchat (Y).

Betatesters:

Zenzil (We love you Zenzil.)
AdinX
Furdle (Booooo!)
Evan5626
Sylvanor
Brozie
Breadfish
Null

Credits:

rlcbm - Project Leader

Zealot - Building, Scripting

Revoloarx - Building

Cakey - Building

Instinct - Building

Delcon - Building

AdinX - Building

Brozie - Modeling

Marble Man - Scripting

Brian Smith - Scripting

Pecon7 - Scripting

I think that when we release on March 15th, we will be the first zombie/snow/thing to actually release.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:51:20 PM by Zalot »

I like the building style and the mod sounds amazing, but from all i've heard and seen the map overall looks very small.

This is epic! Can't wait to play on this!

I like the building style and the mod sounds amazing, but from all i've heard and seen the map overall looks very small.
Have you visited the server? It's mostly rural, so we actually populate the plates with buildings rather than a whole lot of trees.

It is also the equivalent of 8 64x64 plates stretching out in all directions, and we are still working on it.

The low maximum player settings keep encounters low.

Have you visited the server? It's mostly rural, so we actually populate the plates with buildings rather than a whole lot of trees.

It is also the equivalent of 8 64x64 plates stretching out in all directions, and we are still working on it.

Yes I've looked at the topic and from there it looks pretty good.

EDIT: that was for bravo, my bad

Yeah i've been in before, but not for a while.

It's been a while.

Glad to see it nearly complete.

Why am I not in the credits as a developer?

Brian, we shall rise up and take a stand, for no more shall we be outcasted!

This is very fun, and I've been there a few times, but I hate how I can't explore without being attacked by a zombie every minute.

This is very fun, and I've been there a few times, but I hate how I can't explore without being attacked by a zombie every minute.
We lowered the spawn rate drastically (and damage even more.).
We are also adding more rural areas without zombies.

We just crashed.
Well there goes the Tavern.

Getting an auto-saver.