GSF Procedural Terrain Generator

Author Topic: GSF Procedural Terrain Generator  (Read 40162 times)

The GUI won't open from the keybind.
I set mine to ctrl G. I can mash it with nothing happening.
Not even trace(); reacts to it. It's as if there is no key bound at all.

The GUI won't open from the keybind.
I set mine to ctrl G. I can mash it with nothing happening.
Not even trace(); reacts to it. It's as if there is no key bound at all.
I'm not sure what's causing it sorry; it won't work if you're not host of your own server (i.e. on a dedicated server or when joining someone else's server). You can try downloading the update I just released, which handles the GUI somewhat differently.

Version 2 is now out! It hasn't been approved by the RTB staff yet, but you can still download it early.
Update Log:
  • Fixed boundaries interfering with detail bricks by generating boundaries first.
  • Fixed issues with bot hole bricks when used as details; they are now supported.
  • Changed some default settings in the Main Menu to avoid inital confusion/issues.
  • Fixed the server command /ClearPTG (thanks to Xalos) and added /PausePTG.
  • Added psuedo-random rotation to detail bricks.
  • Added infinite terrain variation, relative to where terrain is generated. This will be especially useful when infinite terrain generation is implemented.
  • Changed depth of terrain to 2 layers (when Solid Ground is disabled) to help reduce the brickcount. If you encounter holes in the landscape, just stretch it out using Terrain XY-Scale.
  • Fixed some issues with client/server-sided code.
  • Added an in-game, quick reference guide for the Main Menu (instead of the entire manual), which also includes an FAQ. The actual manual is still included in the add-on folder.
  • Added support for the "Food" brick category when selecting detail bricks.
  • Reintroduced the Custom Height Value option, which allows the user to manipulate chunk-specific height values across the landscape. The CHV menu is now slightly more user-friendly.
  • Fixed misc. issues, especially regarding Modular Terrain bricks when Solid Ground and Caves are enabled.
  • Added "Stop and Clear" option to the temporary main menu.

Oh my this is great. downloading.

Oh my goodness! Thank you for finally finishing this! ... Only if there was some way to generate a building like the bedroom.

I'm not sure what's causing it sorry; it won't work if you're not host of your own server (i.e. on a dedicated server or when joining someone else's server). You can try downloading the update I just released, which handles the GUI somewhat differently.

..Where can I download the update then?
The only link for it is for the RTB one wish isn't updated yet.

Oh my goodness! Thank you for finally finishing this! ... Only if there was some way to generate a building like the bedroom.
No problem. :) And that would be interesting...

..Where can I download the update then?
The only link for it is for the RTB one wish isn't updated yet.
It is, they just haven't tested the update yet. If all else fails, you can try clearing out some add-ons (especially if you have a lot of client-sided add-ons); which worked for someone else who had this issue.

It is, they just haven't tested the update yet. If all else fails, you can try clearing out some add-ons (especially if you have a lot of client-sided add-ons); which worked for someone else who had this issue.

Oooh, Okay.

Edit: Well, the GUI shows up now after I re-downloaded it.
But the generate and preview buttons do nothing.
Maaan..

Guess Ill fool around with some client's I may have.

Edit 2: Yep, nope. Still nothing. One step closer to being able to use a generator though.
You know, for some reason every generator ever made publicly never worked for me.

Seems to work now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:59:14 PM by Mr.Noßody »

Really? How did you resolve it?

Really? How did you resolve it?

Got rid of a Dungeon Creator that was interfering with the code.
Deactivating it wasn't enough, I had to remove it from the addons folder.

Now I'm just waiting terrain gen exploration. (When you walk out, the Terrain continues to build out.)
I also can't figure out the easy way to tile sections of terrain.

I wish you could build something and have it randomly generate *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

EDIT:

Please fix this
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:20:48 AM by Aide33 »

Got rid of a Dungeon Creator that was interfering with the code.
Deactivating it wasn't enough, I had to remove it from the addons folder.
Oh ok, great; I'm glad you got it working.

Now I'm just waiting terrain gen exploration. (When you walk out, the Terrain continues to build out.)
I also can't figure out the easy way to tile sections of terrain.
I wish you could build something and have it randomly generate *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

EDIT:
-pic-
Please fix this
I'm already working on it lol. The infinite terrain generator is functioning to some extent, but I'm having problems with the culling system. Also, I tried to fix the issue with detail bricks interfering with terrain, but it's not easy to fix. The best solution for now is just to stretch out the terrain to prevent that from happening.

The update has been approved on RTB!

I love you for making this GSF, Im still fiddling with the generator and am loving it so far.

The only problem so far is figuring out which settings I have to check off to make my terrain change to the desired colour, everything is red, but Im working on it :)

Could you make it place the base terrain and then go over it again and place the details to prevent that?

I love you for making this GSF, Im still fiddling with the generator and am loving it so far.

The only problem so far is figuring out which settings I have to check off to make my terrain change to the desired colour, everything is red, but Im working on it :)
Thanks; I'm glad you're enjoying it. :) Also, you can set up the terrain colors in the Biomes menu (usually Grass and Water under Biome A and Sand and Dirt under BiomeB are the standard colors to setup).

Could you make it place the base terrain and then go over it again and place the details to prevent that?
That would fix the issue. However, it would break the incoherent noise algorithms (which are used for selecting and placing the detail bricks). If I can figure out another way to calculate them, while getting the same result, then I can setup the generator to generate detail bricks in a separate pass.

Please get rid of (or make it an option in Biomes) the instantly killing water...