Author Topic: Some information about the forum that people/new people may not know about.  (Read 844 times)

Basically it's 4:00 AM and I'm ultra bored, and thought this would be a nice idea.
So, first I wanna start with some simple things.
Such as posting!
The most-known way to achieve this is by pressing the "reply" button at the tops and bottoms of topics. But there's a less clear way to go about it, and is much more easy to use. In the "Look and Layout Preferences" section of your settings (which can be found on your profile), near the bottom, is a drop-down box next to a description involving quick reply. I would suggest changing this to "show, on by default." If you choose the other "show" option, you'll have to click the arrow on the actual quick reply box.

Regular BBC (Bulletin Board Code, aka the stuff that lets you express what you're trying to say better, like [img][/img] or [i][/i]) will still work with it, but you'll have to know the codes in order to use it. For the most common ones, like for images and italics, it's really easy to memorize, and shouldn't pose difficulty.
As far as the content of your posts goes, just not acting like an idiot is a generally good idea here, as well as everywhere else on the internet.

And modifying! This is pretty much only for new people.

The yellow-boxed things are the edit buttons. The one that actually says "modify" is the most obvious, and it opens a new page much like the new post page. The other one, the quick modify (not sure if that's its official name but it fits) button, allows you to edit the post without leaving the page. I love that button, and it's very convenient. To my knowledge, it is enabled by default and can't be disabled, not that I can imagine why you'd want to disable it.
The thing surrounded by red is what lets you know someone edited a post. Something neat about this is that if you edit the post within a certain amount of time after making it (not sure exactly how long), the notification doesn't actually show up.

On to more complex (but not very) things! Like the search engine!
No offense, SMF 1.1.16 search, but you suck! Seriously! Anyway... Most of the search menu is really self-explanatory. The major issue with it is that it only shows one result per topic. So you gotta try to be specific when you search.
And something that I'm sure very few people know about is the ability to search your private messages. This is nearly useless, for most people, but for those of us with quite a library of PMs, it could come in handy someday.

Now for some BBC! Which is a little different here than on some other forums that use BBC, but generally it's the same, just with a few less commands.
Quote is the easiest code to master. You just press the quote button on a post, and the forum automatically inserts the proper code. Isn't that cool? But if you're quoting something like Wikipedia, and decide to use the quote code rather than quotation marks, you just need to use the regular old quote tags.
Code: [Select]
[quote][/quote]Now that I've introduced you to the actual code codes... Code is used for, well, code. Notably, it makes SMF ignore BBC, until it reaches the closing tag. That's probably its only use for "normal" people.
On the other hand, we have noBBC! There is no button for this one, and it has essentially the same common use, except without the ugly grey and "Code:" at the top! If you were wondering how I got the image and italic tags to stay text, earlier, and didn't just quote the post to find out, this is it.
[nobbc][/nobbc]Abbreviation/Acryonym/Probably something else, too! This is like, alt text. When you hover over the text, it shows the message you typed.
[abbr=Example text!][/abbr]Table tags are a little confusing, if you don't know what each one does. You first have to have the initial opening table tag, [table]. Then you start making the table. [tr] is used to start a new row, and [/tr] is used at the end of it. [td] is used for, like, cells. But the cells correspond to cells in other rows. So, the first cell in one row will be in line with the first cell in the next. The three buttons with 3x3 cells are the table buttons.
For example:
helloworld
I loveitall!
"hello" and "I love" are in a column, "world" and "it" are in a column, and "all!" is in its own column. See how it aligns them? It's a good idea to just mess around with it a little, to really understand, since I probably didn't do a great job of explaining. Has limited uses, but if you're making lists, it's nice to know how to use it.
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
I'm gonna add some more codes tomorrow! but it's like 5:31 now, so, yknow.
If anyone has any questions about something, or needs me to clarify whatever, ask! Please! I'd love to answer some questions if I can.
Also, I have no idea at all why there's that face overlooking stats pages, and stuff like that. It makes no sense for it to be there. What is it even doing? I don't know. I'm sure someone does, so if anyone actually knows, feel free to post it.

I doubt I'll exceed 20,000 characters, but just in case...

Speaking of which! If someone reserves the first post in a topic, they're doing it so that, if the need arises, they can edit that post to fit in some things that couldn't fit in the OP (original post, pretty self-explanatory also).
Usually. Of course there's no telling why some people do it, because they don't actually know why it's done in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:37:54 AM by Night Fox »

only think i did not know about is nobbc

im an oldcigarette!

only think i did not know about is nobbc
im an oldcigarette!
even the PM search?

Nothing here I didn't know about already. I unfortunately have a PM that I need to find among hundreds.  I never found it.

Thanks SMF search.

how did you find out about the PM search? I'm just curious, because I can only ever remember seeing mention of it once, and that was when someone told me about

forget lol there is a button on the PM page, seriously, how have I missed that over the past three years

The only thing I didn't know about is PM search. I've never needed that anyway, so.

The only thing I didn't know about is PM search. I've never needed that anyway, so.

With some basic reformatting this could easily deserve a sticky. Personally I think there should be a 'beginners' board, and you have to get above 10 posts to post OUTSIDE of it, but rules are maybe a little more lenient (aside from trolling and phishing)

Good job night

Whoa, I never knew you could do hover overs. Gonna bookmark dis....

forget lol there is a button on the PM page, seriously, how have I missed that over the past three years
That's ok, I've been here 2 or 3 years and I never noticed avatar favorites, that checkbox at the end of print message events, or the query internet button

I'm real observant

also I'm sure somebody noticed, since I'm so annoyed by it, but the bottom line of pixels (aka the whole bottom border) of the images was removed when I uploaded them to photobucket. no idea what's up with that, but I just wanted to clarify that it was not in fact my neglect that led to such a horrifying thing
With some basic reformatting...
yeah I really don't know what to do
I now want to make a thread specifically about BBC, since some of it really isn't that important for new members (not that any of this is important)
but I also want one for this stuff
I'm thinking about just rewriting it all? and making a second section for BBC, and changing the title a little
bc I don't wanna make a whole new thread
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:46:52 AM by Night Fox »

That's ok, I've been here 2 or 3 years and I never noticed avatar favorites, that checkbox at the end of print message events, or the query internet button

I'm real observant
You always played single player up until now?

You always played single player up until now?
It just queries automatically when you hit the multiplayer button.

It just queries automatically when you hit the multiplayer button.

Blockland for Mac is a bit buggier than everything else (at least mine is), so I have to press that like 5 times for the server list to even show up.