Half-Baked Video Game Ideas

Author Topic: Half-Baked Video Game Ideas  (Read 597 times)

everyone has them

you know those weird-ass, not-really-thought-through ideas that you get in the middle of a game, then end up not being able to stop thinking of for the rest of the session because it seems like such a good idea even though part of you is basically short-circuiting over how forgetin dumb you are for coming up with it

like, when i play fallout, i usually come back to the idea of being able to throw melee weapons as a one-shot gambit sort of thing to catch the enemy off guard, to replace the stuffty one-shot expendable-ass throwing system that they have in place (which, honestly, i have never used as anything besides a desperation tactic while fighting the legion.) the thought usually comes to me when i'm pinned down by a lone raider like a room away with yon sniper rifle, and i can't just RUN OUT because i'll just get shot in my punk face. so i'm sitting there and i'm just waiting for him to walk down the hallway and get within melee range, but he's like 'oh man this guy has a super sledge he'll never be able to hit me from far away i'll just shoot his punk face' but then i pop out of cover and he's like "YEAH" but THENNNN

SUPER SLEDGE

BOOOOOOOOOMERANG

like holy forget it's such a bad idea but what IF, man? they'd have to rearrange balance a bit to accommodate for it, like having lighter weapons easier to throw and not soak up as much AP and fly farther and having the thrown weapon retrievable from the target's corpse (or maybe just straight-up STUCK in it, if the weapon is sufficiently pointy) but then how would enemies use it on you? would you freak the forget out if you see an enemy throw something at you? could you just dodge it? could THEY just dodge YOU? what would be the modifier for that, would it just be based on the size of the weapon? like, if i were to throw a normal-ass knife at them would it be too fast for them to react properly before it hit them, versus throwing a forgetin car bumper at them? how would strength and agility play into the mix?

man, even with the system in place, i probably wouldn't even be able to pull off a super sledge throw without the forgetin planets aligning, but it's still probably worth it.

does this type of thing happen to you guys too? it's okay, i won't judge.

though i may take notes.

(to that end, please post your justification and rambling, wild thoughts on why the forget whatever your thing won't work. tis part of the process.)

a physics system with various haircut tools to create a haircut for a character

Kicking a bucket simulator.

a game entirely based around the concept of dynamic light

(this light in this image was actually generated, not drawn like this)

I had an idea just before going to bed after a long night of playing TF2, though it would probably work better with a game actually designed around the concept.

The game or gamemode revolves around large crates scattered around the arena. The crates are attributed to one of the two teams, and the contents (whether it be powerups to help accomplish the objective or straight-up points to win the game) can only be collected by the team that owns them. So let's say for the sake of clarity that we've got Red and their crates and Blue and their crates. There's a twist, however: Red and Blue do abysmal damage to their respective crates. It would take quite awhile of continuous shooting for them to open their own crate. The key is that Blue does extra damage to Red's crate, and vice versa. One enemy could crack the crate in a minute or less.

So this sets up the battlefield for various decisions and strategies:
  • Red sets up a choke point in front of one of their crates, hoping stray bullets from Blue whiz by them and help crack the crate (I really like the phrase crack the crate, I think that's what I'll name the concept).
  • Blue splits a few guys off from the attacking group and they go to town on one of their own crates. It'll take awhile, but the powerups/points inside will be worth it.
  • Some jerk on Red decides it'd be funny to open all of Blue's crates (this is the only problem I've found).

It's not very fleshed out and there are probably more problems than what I found but it sounded neat and I wanted to expand on it. There's no way I'll be doing anything with it so it's a free idea to any game designers out there.

I had an idea the other day of deep-sea alien colonies and scientists that have finally developed technology to get to the bottom of the ocean.

An apocalypse game like Fallout, but with more emphasis on scavenging and bartering. Something that feels really authentic.

Failing that, a Hitman game that isn't Absolution.