Author Topic: Game idea (up for grabs)  (Read 2248 times)

Each player starts with 10 bots. There is a battle field and 2 teams (2 players)
The person opens up the programming window and begins.
He can pick Python or Lua, and he begins. He codes the bots to the last detail. When they both finish they battle to the death. This is a competition of who can
A) code better
B) have more efficient code and
C) have the best life saving algorithms

here is a fun scenario:
Person A codes his bots to fire after every 10 seconds in front of the bots, then to move forward a bit and repeat. He puts his bots in a line and he hopes that it will act as a firing squad.

Person B codes his bots to do the same but any time a bullet is near them they crouch.

The battle starts, and person B wins in 30 seconds because Person A only focused on offensive code.

think about the possibilities.

assuming a person knows either python or lua. :I

Sounds like it would be easier to play if the coding was instead like the Mindstorms NXT program creator software.

Which is really annoying to use. I personally much prefer raw code even if I have difficulty.

Which is really annoying to use. I personally much prefer raw code even if I have difficulty.
^ this guy knos what he be talkin' bout

It's a great idea, but it'd be a bit unfair and would leave a lot of people out, as not a lot of people can code.

And then there's always the possibility that someone could just copy a code that they got off of the internet.

This sounds really cool. I could try making something like this tommorow.

spawnprojectilerocketsize(255)color(255, 0, 0, 255);

Instant win

i feel this could be done in BL with events.

but the idea is freaking neat, all the same. and you could use multiple rounds with longer and longer coding periods to develop some really sophisticated AI --> use to show off to game developers.

there is this game where you program robots to duke it out against each other, i dont remember the name tho
pretty sure it was with python tho

That would either take hours to do for each game, unless you just copy and paste your code. Im certain that people would just disconnect after a while, making all that time wasted

It would not nearly take hours. I'd imagine that you'd have some basic built-in functions and triggers to work with, and that you could copy code from one robot to another.

It would not nearly take hours. I'd imagine that you'd have some basic built-in functions and triggers to work with, and that you could copy code from one robot to another.
This, you could have libraries that you can write before hand that you can just import and apply.

something kind of like this

from mylib import soldier

def oncreate(bot):
     s = solder(bot)
     s.beginAttach()

Wouldn't this sort of defeat the purpose of calling it a game, though?

A game is a set of rules and objectives to "win" the game.

If you were an advanced coder, while true you'd still be subject to the game's time limits, if you're capable and truly given full access to the bot's source code, you can create "god bots" that never die and can fire a blast that does infinite damage and has a .2 second firing rate.

You'd have to include a lot of restrictions on what the coder is actually able to do and not do, and what's more, the checks and balances on what he can and can't create (to make sure he stays within the game's actual limits).

I dunno. This feels like it'd also be too complicated for its own worth. Could be an interesting attempt, but even some of the more hardcore coders are unfamiliar with LUA and Python (though, the later shouldn't be too hard to learn).

I guess, at least to me, it feels really elitist.

If you were an advanced coder, while true you'd still be subject to the game's time limits, if you're capable and truly given full access to the bot's source code, you can create "god bots" that never die and can fire a blast that does infinite damage and has a .2 second firing rate.

Where does the OP imply that you'd have full access to every single detail of the game? You'd only be able to control what input the bot uses - movement, firing weapon or not, jumping, etc.