Author Topic: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu  (Read 2703 times)

I remember when I had Windows XP rather than 7; it was awful.

ubuntu doesn't accurately represent the entire gnu/linux project. also i dualboot, i use windows 7 for gaming and ubuntu for everything else such as programming.

to be honest, gnu/linux is a much better OS than windows 7 in almost every aspect with the exception of gaming and popularity.

valve recognizes that linux has potential. that's why they're spending time porting Steam / source engine / the rest of the steam library onto it in the first place. speaking of which, TF2 runs almost better on ubuntu than it does on windows anyway. the same for l4d2.

Fedora is the best distro

Whats a good linux kernal?

This statement. I can't even begin to can.
Linux IS the kernel. What the hell are you talking about?

Oh forget someone didn't call linux a kernel, power up the silos.

I remember when I had Windows XP rather than 7; it was awful.
ahem that's because XP was released in 2001 (or depending on your Service Pack, 2002)

Oh forget someone didn't call linux a kernel, power up the silos.

no but like somebody asked for a good Linux kernel
what the hell

^this

i use linux mint though because fedora by default is ugly and I'm a lazy bastard

why not arch + "awesome" wm

you make tux sad

Also, can't you run Ubuntu side by side with Windows? Like, use Windows, and use Ubuntu on the same comp?
The fact you don't know this means you really shouldn't be using Linux, you will most likely just download it and have no idea what the forget you're doing since you have to use a command line a lot.

Just go with Windows 7 and if you really want to learn and mess with Ubuntu go ahead and download Wubi and install it. (It's a Windows installer for Ubuntu)

I personally consider Ubuntu to be an entry point to the world of Linux, and would much prefer Arch or any RHEL-based distro over it. If you have to decide between Windows and Linux, just get Windows and do a multi-boot later on if you feel like toying around with Linux.

Apple did well because they were able to successfully brand themselves as a premium computer supplier while Microsoft was able to gain a foothold in the enterprise and business world by marketing MS-DOS for IBM PCs and then eventually cornering the whole PC market. Linux is pretty cool and free but developers do dumb things like throw config files all over your hard drive and install to various folders inconsistently.

The best designed OSes were probably AmigaOS and BeOS but unfortunately neither are around anymore in any significant form. Performance wise they were both running circles around both Microsoft and Apple in the 90s and early 2000s.