Face_Tribal

Author Topic: Face_Tribal  (Read 3042 times)

Been about 2 years since I made a face, I believe I may have improved somewhat.
Download link is at the bottom.
No rates for now.
I could possibly develop this into a pack if it is recieved well.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?hkrv292ism95y74

Edit: Fixed a few things with the file arrangement.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:35:57 AM by danisaac5 »

The face is not transparent (which is really easy to do on a face like this) and the simply copy-pasted tribal tattoo on the head shows that you paid absolutely no effort to do this and you most likely didn't care about the result.

This decal isn't very high quality....

I would recommend practicing using programs like Inkscape, Illustrator, or Photoshop (though if you use the latter be sure to get a more recent copy -- there are features which will make your life much easier for this kind of work) before you release anything else. Blockland decals are best designed with vector software which enables you to create the best quality decals. It also makes creating transparent and high resolution decals easier (both of which this face is not). If you need any reference for constructing things out of bezier curves and basic shapes I release all my decals with the .ai illustrator file with all the layers and objects I used. To practice with the pen tool I would recommend tracing as many things as you can, whatever the object is. After you get good with that you can easily transition into making very high quality art which is surprisingly easy to create.

Im thinking of creating a series of tutorials which will walk people through creating good decals with vector software.

This decal isn't very high quality....

I would recommend practicing using programs like Inkscape, Illustrator, or Photoshop (though if you use the latter be sure to get a more recent copy -- there are features which will make your life much easier for this kind of work) before you release anything else. Blockland decals are best designed with vector software which enables you to create the best quality decals. It also makes creating transparent and high resolution decals easier (both of which this face is not). If you need any reference for constructing things out of bezier curves and basic shapes I release all my decals with the .ai illustrator file with all the layers and objects I used. To practice with the pen tool I would recommend tracing as many things as you can, whatever the object is. After you get good with that you can easily transition into making very high quality art which is surprisingly easy to create.

Im thinking of creating a series of tutorials which will walk people through creating good decals with vector software.

You don't need to buy a $500 software (or whatever the price of those things are) just to make a face. On top of that, you don't necessarily need a vector software to do so either.

You'd rather use GIMP or Paint.NET.

You don't need to buy a $500 software (or whatever the price of those things are) just to make a face. On top of that, you don't necessarily need a vector software to do so either.

You'd rather use GIMP or Paint.NET.
Inkscape is free and open source and you can get the full version of Illustrator CS2 free from Adobe's website. You can get the newer version of Photoshop Essentials for free with the features mentioned as well I'm pretty sure. There are also other methods of acquiring the above software for free and with their latest versions as well. Paint.NET has terrible pen tool support and doesn't have the best gradient support. Its really not meant to be used for such things. Gimp is better though I always found it hard to use and it doesn't support anything vector and is just bitmap; it's much harder to create modifiable and scalable images. If you want to create rudimentary black shapes that are very much akin to the default Blockhead face I suppose they would work fine. Anything past that, personally, would just be hellish.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:19:26 PM by dotdot: reloaded »

Inkscape is free and open source and you can get the full version of Illustrator CS2 free from Adobe's website. You can get the newer version of Photoshop Essentials for free with the features mentioned as well I'm pretty sure. There are also other methods of acquiring the above software for free and with their latest versions as well. Paint.NET has terrible pen tool support and doesn't have the best gradient support. Its really not meant to be used for such things. Gimp is better though I always found it hard to use and it doesn't support anything vector and is just bitmap; it's much harder to create modifiable and scalable images. If you want to create rudimentary black shapes that are very much akin to the default Blockhead face I suppose they would work fine. Anything past that, personally, would just be hellish.

I never heard of using vectors for a goddamn face. It's not like you need 5120x5120 for it.

Is Inkscape better than Paint.NET?
Does it support vectors?
Because if it does then I'm getting it

Inkscape is merely for vectors.

I never heard of using vectors for a goddamn face. It's not like you need 5120x5120 for it.
It's not about resolution. This inspired me to start using vector software a long time ago and it's amazingly useful.

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=67079.msg1119595#msg1119595

Note that the software that Skele used in the tutorial is free.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:56:36 AM by dotdot: reloaded »

It honestly looks weird and doesn't seem to fit Blockland too well, excellent face though.