Smooth Shadows - IS IT POSSIBLE?!?

Author Topic: Smooth Shadows - IS IT POSSIBLE?!?  (Read 2884 times)

I was bored and decided to read through the Bugs section for S&S in the Development thread and I noticed this little bit of info Badspot wrote in the topic (see above). I understand why Badspot didn't look into this in the first place considering Shadows themselves are already very demanding. However, there is (are?) always the 1% of people with very powerful computers in any gaming community, Blockland too (not saying I am one of them). Could you add some type of option in the "Advanced" Tab for something that would make shadows smoother (it could also force the "High" setting, otherwise having the option on Low and the smoothing option wouldn't make shadows look well) I think it would be very useful again for the people with powerful computers or with people with somewhat powerful computers and want to do some Blockland machinimas in small maps.

(I have no idea how much performance the smoothing of shadows would cost since you didn't give us an estimate really but unless its something really crazy then I really think you should work on it)

Errr... they're gonna be pixelated no matter what. They're made out of pixels.

Just use the console command.

The console command is Ultra

Does only set shaders to max.
Max is still ugly.
I want more

Errr... they're gonna be pixelated no matter what. They're made out of pixels.
There are some blur approximations that can be used to soften the edges...

Does only set shaders to max.
Max is still ugly.
I want more

The answer to this thread is in the quote.

Yes, it's possible; no, it won't happen. If the devs didn't find it worth working on, that's probably the final say in the matter.

Why can't triangles be used to fill in the ugly gaps?

It is, but I can only imagine how badly it'd affect FPS in-game.

You should be surprised there are even shadows at all

lol i'm sure if it were that easy it'd be done; i don't think that's how it works

Because in order to do that, you'd have to increase the shadowmap size by a stuffload.

And then you have to wonder, what if there's a spot where a triangle isn't supposed to be there?

And then you have to wonder, what if there's a spot where a triangle isn't supposed to be there?
That does suspiciously sound like a bug ingame. Random triangles dotting the walls.

I have this problem, but i still like shadows neitherless.

I keep wondering why a lower view distance increases shadow quality, yet further makes it look worse.