Author Topic: Maths Problem Help - Horizontal Cylinder Dipstick  (Read 1650 times)

Hi guys. I don't usually ask for yous guy's help for homework and stuff but I've tried so hard at this problem and I just don't get where I'm going wrong. I know some of you are like maths genius's so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me. Here's the problem (task 2/3):

I believe I'm doing it right, but I think I'm slipping up somewhere. I've checked on online calculators and I seem to be getting the wrong answer. If you don't understand what I'm writing due to my stuff hand writing, tell me and I'll try and clear it up. Thanks for the help assuming it comes. :)

Also please note that I sort of need the answer sooner rather than later, so if you think you could offer anything at all I'd greatly appreciate it if you didn't hold back on posting. Thanks.

Woah, this looks confusing... Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but good luck!

that is seriously the most handicapped math problem i've ever seen

that is seriously the most handicapped math problem i've ever seen

"FIND THE WHOLE TOTAL SURFACE AREA OF THE PLANET EARTH, THEN FIND THE RADIUS OF A TREE, NOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TRIANGLE IN THE RADIUS OF A TREE IF THE WHOLE PLANET WAS SUBMERGED IN LAVA? WOULD THE TOTAL SURFACE AREA BECOME LARGER OR SMALLER COUNTING THAT THERE ARE NOW 3 MOONS ORBITING OUR PLANET? Explain your reasoning"

"FIND THE WHOLE TOTAL SURFACE AREA OF THE PLANET EARTH, THEN FIND THE RADIUS OF A TREE, NOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TRIANGLE IN THE RADIUS OF A TREE IF THE WHOLE PLANET WAS SUBMERGED IN LAVA? WOULD THE TOTAL SURFACE AREA BECOME LARGER OR SMALLER COUNTING THAT THERE ARE NOW 3 MOONS ORBITING OUR PLANET? Explain your reasoning"
Earth's Surface = 196.9 million sq miles
Tree = 2 ft

Triangle in tree = 2ft
Lava submersion = heat
Heat = expansion

The triangle would expand.

The surface area of earth is increased due to tidal waves.

Tree = 2 ft

Triangle in tree = 2ft
Lava submersion = heat
Heat = expansion

Mind = Blown

Tree = 2 ft

Triangle in tree = 2ft
Lava submersion = heat
Heat = expansion

Oh god

Please stay on topic guys. :(
I really need help with this. The problem is starting to annoy me. I hate it when I truly can't see what I'm doing wrong. :(

Unfortunately, I don't get what you're doing with your work, even if I do anything similar. I might try to figure it out. However, it does look like you've got a problem there because it looks like you're doing equal measures vertically, not equal liter measurements.

Unfortunately, I don't get what you're doing with your work, even if I do anything similar. I might try to figure it out. However, it does look like you've got a problem there because it looks like you're doing equal measures vertically, not equal liter measurements.
Exactly, that's why I can't just find the volume and divide by 6. :(

Exactly, that's why I can't just find the volume and divide by 6. :(

we have here a failure to communicate. I'm saying that it's necessary to do liter measurement, then find what will give you equal liter measure amounts. I'm working on it right now, though I'm kinda dumb so

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. "Depth" would be the reading from the dipstick, as a fraction of 1.

There are 6 blocks on the stick. Diameter = 2400mm/6 = 400mm
1 block = 400mm

Volume of Cylinder
3.14*1200mm^2*2400mm
=10851840000
= 10851840 milliliters
=10851.84 liters

Find how much 1 block can measure in amount of liters
10851.84/400
=27.1296 liters
Rounded 27 liters

That should do i---

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. "Depth" would be the reading from the dipstick, as a fraction of 1.

Wow I am a failure :(

Gah
I really wanted to do this
but I was in over my head anyway
I just wanted the challenge ;-;