[TUTORIAL] How to use the forums

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] How to use the forums  (Read 1451 times)

alright you crackers listen up. too many people have been loving up at using the forums so im going to cover as much as i can to show how to use this for newcomers. thanks bud!
hopefully this will get stickied  :cookieMonster:

Table of Contents
1. Images
2. Links
3. Formatting Text
4. Quoting
5. Code
6. Captioning
7. Divider Line
8. Anchoring
9. Modifying

Images
Upload your image to an image hosting website like imgur, tinypic, imageshack, photobucket, and many more. just google search 'image uploader'
copy/paste the direct link of the photo that will be provided by the website to your message body. highlight the link and click the button. this should place [ img] [/img] tags surrounding your link. If you hit the preview button below, it should show up in the generated preview as a photo.
It should end up looking something like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://imgur/somephotolinkstuffhere[/img]
Re-sizing an image
If you image appears too large or you want it larger, follow this. if not, skip.
With the [ img] tags around your photo, edit the [ img] to look like [ img width=]. behind the equal sign, put in the desired photo dimensions. the latest forum update made it auto resize to 1000 or something, but if you want it smaller you can do this.
It should look something like this:
[img width=800]http://photo.com/websitelolpwnd[/img]
Links
Similar to images, you just highlight it and click a button. This time, highlight your copy/pasted url and hit the button. In some instances, the url will automatically made into a link without this, but i just do this to be sure!
Looks like this:
[url]http://linkherelolcigarette.com[/url]
Substituting link with words
In the above image tutorial, how I substituted the words imgur, tinypic, imageshack and photobucket with words instead of the ugly long url. To do this is simple
[url=http://linkherelol]INSERT TEXT YOU WANT TO APPEAR HERE[/url]
Formatting Text
This means bolding, italicizing, underlining, and striking-through your text. Also re-sizing text, aligning it and making it a subscript or superscript, and coloring it. This is probably the easiest thing to do.

Changing appearance of text
Highlight your text and click one of the following buttons:
- Bolding
- Italicizing
- Underlining
- Strikethrough

Re-Sizing
To re-size your text, highlight the desired text and click the button. It will look like this:
[size=10pt]text here hi.[/size]change the numerical value of 10 to your desired size. make sure to preview your post before you post it so you dont make it too big or too small!

Aligning
To align your text, you can click one of the following buttons:
- Left aligned (default)
-
Center aligned
-
right aligned

SubScript and SuperScript
Highlight text and click:
- super scripting(aligning uptop, for exponents and variables)
- sub scripting(aligning on bottom, for elements and fractions)

Coloring
Highlight desired text and click the drop-down menu that says Change Color. Click the desired color.

Quoting
We all love quoting and it is super easy. Whoever's post you want to quote, hit the button and avoid the text that contains [ quote] and stuff, and enter what you want to say below.
To make a quote not from a user, hit the button and type what you want to quote inbetween the two
[quote][/quote]

Code
To use the code function, which lets you type in forum modifications without them showing up, and i've used them a lot so farcomma splice, click the button and type what you what inside the two tags.

Captioning
This means that whenever you hover over some text, a small box pops up and shows hidden text. This is good for explaining what an image is. There is no button for this sadly.
To caption just text, type
[abbr=text that shows when you hover over]text that you hover over to see caption[/abbr]To caption images(this may get complicated)
[abbr=text that shows up][img]http://directlinkhere.com[/img][/abbr]

Divider Line
I've been using this to divide the sections of this tutorial. it can be very handy!
Click the button on a single line(put no text on the same line). hr tags should appear. This will create a line when you post, like this:

Anchoring
Anchoring is the same thing used for the table of contents on this topic. It is a link that you click that goes to another part of the same post. there is no button for this sadly. To do this is somewhat complex. Type in
[iurl=#topichere]Text that shows what you click[/iurl]Then, to put wherever you want in the topic this button to go, place the following in that location:
[anchor=topichere][/anchor]For example, this very part of the tutorial is like this:
[iurl=anchoring]Anchoring[/iurl]
//go down a lot here to this section...
[anchor=anchoring][/anchor]
The name of the anchor location does not have to be the same as the text shown.

Modifying Your Post
On your recently posted post, say you forgot something. To add this in, find the post you just made and click the button. Edit to your hearts content and hit the submit button to edit it. A small tag will show under your post that says you edited your post.

okay so suggest things for me to add. i will be doing how to edit your profile and such on the reserved post. idk how much more room i have on this post, so anything to do with other stuff will probably go on the next post. thanks, i hope this was helpful!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:21:33 PM by Pass »

Helpful, didnt know one or two of these.

The first instruction should always be to learn how to use the loving search button.

I guess it's pretty neat but
that doesnt show button picture references for 8 year olds with mental handicapations, now does it?

forgot to put tags around that image at the end

for some reason i cant quote the op but whatever its at the end in "modifying your post"

Why did you reserve a post?