/!\ PSA: Change the weapon reload key /!\

Poll

Do you like using the light key to reload weapons?

Yes
27 (69.2%)
No
12 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: /!\ PSA: Change the weapon reload key /!\  (Read 3669 times)

For as long as weapons have had a reload feature, i've been bothered by how the reload key is the light key, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this could be done better

There are two problems with weapons using the light key for the reload button, those problems are
  • If the server takes place in a dark environment, to toggle your light on or off would have to wait until your weapon is reloaded, not everyone has their lights turn on when in dark maps, and because i haven't tried it recently enough, i don't know if a player's light stays on when they respawn whether or not they have that option enabled

Not a particularly good point, but it's a point nonetheless

• A better point to make is how uncomfortable it is reaching the light key to reload whenever necessary, it seems to me that like me, the majority of people put the light key on the L key, makes sense right? L for light, yeah? But if you're keeping four of your fingers on the A, W, D and F keys, it's gonna feel pretty uncomfortable trying to get your thumb to the L key to reload since your thumb is the only finger that can reach the L key

And in that case, to move your thumb to the L key, your hand's gonna twist in a way that lets your thumb move to the L key, but keep 2, 3 or even all 4 of your fingers on the A, W, D, and F keys, which will feel uncomfortable for your fingers and possibly even cause some minor/very minor cramping in your wrist which can become a nuisance after a while

| Q: What should be done? |

| A: Use sit instead of light |

Now you may be wondering, "Why use sit?", think of it like this, how important is sitting during combat situations? It's not important, players are gonna want to toggle their light more than wanting to sit down during combat, so the sit command becomes far less useful during whatever minigame the server is running that includes combat of any kind, so it makes more sense to make the reload key replace such a useless action

In addition, S is typically the backward movement key, so people would probably bind sit to a key they may not be using much or just some random key, if reload was to be made into the sit command, it can be bound to a key that's much easier to get to, such as the R key, the R key is the reload key in many shooters, and it's in an easy to reach spot while you're using your pinky, ring, and middle fingers to control your character, you can easily move your index finger to the R key to reload

So it makes the most sense, right? Anyone else agree and/or want a change to how weapons reload?

I kind of like the "L" key as a reload key, but I do think it's uncomfortable.
I support

For some reason my light key is R, which is really weird.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:18:36 PM by John Freeman »

For some reason my light key is R, which is really weird.
mine is that too

>To to control options
>Bind Light to R key
>???
>Profit

to toggle your light on or off would have to wait until your weapon is reloaded
this could easily be fixed with more clever coding

the finger-reaching is an inconvenience still, but the user is capable of fixing that

I actually like the reload key being the light key because my bindings are set to have "R" as my key and it is close to the WASD keys so i can effortlessly press it without having to reach over or use another hand and it comes naturally to me because i'm used to it. It gets annoying when you have to wait for a weapon to reload in order to use a light and things similar to that, so changing the light's keybind makes no difference.

I usually have my pinky set on Shift, my thumb on the Space bar,and my ring finger, middle finger and index finger on A W and D.

While I agree that being unable to use your light while reloading is a (minor) inconvenience, I don't want to use ANY key to reload. I actually have an add-on which lets me arbitrarily mirror bound commands, so I have my light key be [ for out-of-combat (don't ask, that's just where I put it) and clicking the scroll wheel in combat.

>To to control options
>Bind Light to R key
>???
>Profit
I understand it's that easy, and it is a good idea, but i wasn't gonna let that stop me from making this topic

I mostly made this topic to see if anyone else felt the same way as me about it and if there's a better way to go about doing it than just having people change their keybinds

For someone like me, i prefer my light key on L and sit on R, i don't play Blockland online much, let alone in games where weapons are involved, so to avoid feeling so uncomfortable, i'd have to set my light key to R, which if i'm in a server that's not one that involves combat, my brain thinks to use L for the light, but instead that would be something like sit or whatever

Having to reprogram my brain to avoid muscle memory from happening has always been a sort of problem for me, if my hands feel something's off about how the controls work, my brain's gonna freak out and i'll have to correct the issue until it's correct, which will not work in this case because of the conflict of "The light key should be L!", and "But the reload key is normally R and L is so hard to reach during combat!"

We should have various "usable" keys, like key one, two, three, etc. So an example would be key one, key one's keybind is r the server then checks to see if there is any special code made for when players press r and so then something would happen.

You could easily incorporate it to do special things, and you could easily work it with code I'd assume.

The way server-sided keybinds work in blockland does not allow for them to be bound to a specific character key. Rather, the function that is called by a client-bound key is packaged and used as a psuedo-bind. The most logical psuedo-bind is the light key, on account of it not being a very important feature in the heat of battle and because it's close to wasd.

I think trying to use the paint button ('E' for most people) would work better than L, but I'm not sure that there's a callback that can be appropriately packaged.

The best thing that could happen is that Badspot makes a default keybind function for reloading.

The best thing that could happen is that Badspot makes a default keybind function for reloading.

and making the default gun have ammo[/sarcasm]

but yeah that'd be cool

i thought the light key automatically changed in a minigame to R