Author Topic: I need a VGA to DVI under 5$.  (Read 3167 times)

From somewhere, I'm using a tv that is about 1-2 years old as a second monitor, I need a VGA to DVI under 5$.
Anyone know where?

i need a phone hdmi (i think its type D?) to normal hdmi female-female
ive ordered a few from amazon, some of these pages dont have correct type descriptions x.x

Tiger direct sells them for like 10 dollars. Look on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B000067SOH

That is DVI-I

Check and see if the port looks like this:

This is DVI-D just be sure to pick the right kind, they can be relatively cheap depending.

Sorry for image quality, my camera for some reason took clear then became semi blurred after going through photoshop because of my monitors calibration.

If it is DVI-D, buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226071

Unfortunately from what I have read that it isn't possible to take DVI-D to VGA but DVI-I I am not sure.  Some monitors are capable of odd things such as mine which I took a component video signal from an Xbox 360 to DVI-D back into VGA and was able to record 1080i gameplay but only very certain monitor hardware can do this.  So, good luck and hope this helps.

EDIT:

So I did a little testing

I took a few different adapters for VGA to DVI-D

I started with DVI-I to female VGA

Then took DVI-I to DVI-D

And produced this result:

I wasn't suprised it didn't work but it's up to you if you want to make the investment, you don't know if you don't try is the way I think of it, it's always good to try new things and learn from them.  Good luck to you in your monitor adapting methods.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:27:53 PM by suburb »

The port is holes on right, little slit thing on left.
What would that be?
it seems its DVI D dual
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:18:02 AM by -Maxx- »

If you can take a picture of the port itself that would help even more, what you described or what I gathered doesn't sound like a DVI

If you can take a picture of the port itself that would help even more, what you described or what I gathered doesn't sound like a DVI
Its DVI-D Dual Link
what would be the adapter for it?

I started with DVI-I to female VGA

did you lose your VRGN-TY?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:33:26 AM by .:FancyPants:. »

If you ever have to order a cable or adapter, order it from http://www.monoprice.com/

Seriously, their stuff is cheap as forget and quality too

My port is DVI-D Dual link, what is the adapter I need so I can go VGA to DVI-D dual link?

You just need a normal dvi to vga, it's really not that hard at all. Judging by most of your computer related posts you have no idea what you're doing though.

You need this if you're computer is vga and your tv dvi, and this if you're going dvi from you're computer to vga on your tv.

and this if you're going dvi from you're computer to vga on your tv.
???
The port looks exactly like the plug, its DVI-D Dual Link for my port, but that looks as if you connect another adapter into it.

???
The port looks exactly like the plug, its DVI-D Dual Link for my port, but that looks as if you connect another adapter into it.

Are you serious? Run a cable from either the tv or the computer to the adapter. Then plug the adapter into the tv or the computer with whichever end doesn't have a cable in it. This is pretty simple.