Author Topic: Home - Things we all should know  (Read 821 times)

"It's too late to be a pessimist"
I was recently shown this documentary and I really think it is something that everybody should see, or at least known the message it sends.
We all hear over and over that the world is heating up and the dangers of overpopulation, natural disruption and general human impact on the world, but these comments generally just make their way to the back of your mind with the rest of the white noise.
This video does a good job of bringing out how truly important these things are and how desperately they need to be mended, even if you don't enjoy or care for the views *cough* and future of the planet *cough* the video still has some amazing footage, facts and interesting stories.

So yeah, hopefully some of you will watch this and like recycle or something.

After doing some research on the subject, I don't think overpopulation is nearly as bad a problem as people think it is. Sure people are starving, but that seems more due to bad government that an inability to make food. In fact, several studies showed that at any one moment, all the food produced in the world could feed up to twenty billion people. And besides, population is growth is starting to decelerate. It'll peak sometime in the next few decades if nothing changes and it'll start going down

well just as in nature. when there is to many predators and not enough food supply. both die out in great amounts. then slowly come back in like a "reset" kind of balance. (for a while)

XD

I don't think I know anyone who tries to CONSCIOUSLY not recycle... Now, when it comes to industries polluting the earth, that's the big flaw I see... The funny thing is, my mom works for BASF, the worlds largest chemical company. They specialize and focus in agriculture, and even after that they spend years doing exstensive tests on how ecco-friendly their products are.

But she's a graphic designer, so she doesn't do any of the actual hands on environment stuff, but she's big on being green. We have our own shopping bags, we carpool as much as possible, we try to use the longest lasting paints as possible, we don't use any chemicals on our yard, etc.

Pretty sure in the next ten years we'll have technology to duplicate.
Maybe.

Overpopulation isn't going to be an issue. Theres far too much uncovered territory on the planet to worry about this. We as humans tend to flock to singular areas like cities and the like, so with the constant congestion of crowding close together, We tend to look at things like the rate of birth and amount of deaths as insufficient. Statistically overpopulation will not be a problem. At least not in our lifetimes. Another cause of this is territorial issues. Some places are extremely hostile to settle and other places being private property being bought up by wealthier individuals. Other issues are Environmental preservation which also adds to the limits we put on ourselves geographically. Not that preservations are bad thing.

With time we are experiencing the usual cycles of mankind, where mass slaughter and other causes of death significantly keep up with the total population. So the call and need for "population control" is put out by paranoids. It comes about naturally and sufficiently and doesn't need its hand to be forced. The planet was designed (or evolved, depending on your views) to maintain what was born on its surface.

I guess it seems easy to say the world is overpopulating when you have places like New York where everyone clusters close together. Looking at those places it's easy to feel crowded despite having plenty of empty landscape in other areas

Keep in mind that more people = more production = more pollution = more global warming = more ocean water = less land = less space

Clone stop being philosophical and make more funny comments.

Keep in mind that more people = more production = more pollution = more global warming = more ocean water = less land = less space
The Climategate Leak has disproved all global warming theory since it's discovery.

Yeah, as everyone had already said, overpopulation isn't a problem.

Yet.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:51:19 PM by Amerax »

I'm surprised, I would have expected everyone to kind of follow the trend I've seen and talk about how horrible overpopulation is and that we should commit mass genocide to fix it

But most of you guys so far actually seem to get that it's not a problem :o

Well, being as a very large amount of the worlds population are in 3rd world countries, I can't see how that could possibly affect anyone else.

Poor kid thinks global warming is real.

more people, same amount of money. Everyone will suffer