Author Topic: Universal Colorset  (Read 1467 times)

I'm pretty sure that, if it worked the way I suggested, we wouldn't even need separate datablocks for the colors
avatars work that way, and everyone can see all of the avatar colors
I don't think badspot is an idiot so hopefully there is a reason that we can't do that. if there is, please tell me, anyone

Items are different. I'm not sure why, though. Same deal with not being able to re-color hands on guns. And its particle changes color.

Items are different. I'm not sure why, though. Same deal with not being able to re-color hands on guns. And its particle changes color.
yeah, but that's the problem! the colors on an item (and its particles!) are determined by an image/images. the sky is... determined by an image as well! and we can change the color of the sky with sliders. so why not make the paint can work that way? what I want to know is why exactly that isn't what he did, because I really doubt that he did it "just because"

Oh, I see. No idea, sorry.

I'm pretty sure the main reason is that bricks are completely different to avatars, skys, items, etc. Bricks use a different system. Before Retail, blocks were Static Shapes (Or something similar). They were possibly colourable to any colour, although i'm not sure, thats just a guess based on what little knowledge i have. However they were changed to the fxDTSbrick system which is a lot less laggy, meaning that you could have 100,000 bricks without lagging while before you could have around 1,000 (Again, estimates). So you could make bricks which use Static Shapes or whatever method works, and be able to colour them freely, but you couldn't make anything big out of them without a lot of lag. You would gain the advantage of having no brick grid, scalable, and movable though. Might be worth looking into.

Actually, now that i think about it, the Elevator Events use static shapes to replace bricks..

Ok so if there is a "set fav" button the make the colorset, how would the color setting GUI come up? It wuld be plain annoying if it came up everytime you pressed numpad enter, so i think that if this was made, you would need to press a key-binded button, and select you color while you have an active ghoshbrick.

I'm pretty sure the main reason is that bricks are completely different to avatars, skys, items, etc. Bricks use a different system. Before Retail, blocks were Static Shapes (Or something similar). They were possibly colourable to any colour, although i'm not sure, thats just a guess based on what little knowledge i have. However they were changed to the fxDTSbrick system which is a lot less laggy, meaning that you could have 100,000 bricks without lagging while before you could have around 1,000 (Again, estimates). So you could make bricks which use Static Shapes or whatever method works, and be able to colour them freely, but you couldn't make anything big out of them without a lot of lag. You would gain the advantage of having no brick grid, scalable, and movable though. Might be worth looking into.

Actually, now that i think about it, the Elevator Events use static shapes to replace bricks..

The bricks we have now are static.

yeah, but that's the problem! the colors on an item (and its particles!) are determined by an image/images. the sky is... determined by an image as well! and we can change the color of the sky with sliders. so why not make the paint can work that way? what I want to know is why exactly that isn't what he did, because I really doubt that he did it "just because"
but there is only 1 sky and many items, you can change the color of all of the items globally but not separately

but there is only 1 sky and many items, you can change the color of all of the items globally but not separately
the sky was just an example
I'm not really sure how body colors are done, but no matter what color you pick, everyone can see it, and nobody has to download any datablock for your color(s), and they're not global.
why couldn't such a system work for the paint can is what I'm saying

vehicles, weapons/items, and players are all easy to recolor DTS models
bricks are not, they are of their own special object class that badspot has created for their efficiency and simplicity
the need for predefined coloursets is a small compromise

it is how it works, because of the very weird way that badspot did it
I don't know why he would make it work like that but he did
it's dumb imo

What an ignorant thing to say. It's a good thing your opinion doesn't have any influence in this game's development.

A limit of 64 colors is a network optimization. There could be up to 256,000 bricks on a server and telling the client that each of those bricks is a color between 0-63 uses a lot less bandwidth than telling the client each brick is "240 32 48 255" (that's a difference of 0-63 compared to 0-4294967295 or thereabouts, for 256,000 bricks - don't quote me on the math but it's a lot).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:08:16 AM by Ephialtes »

What an ignorant thing to say. It's a good thing your opinion doesn't have any influence in this game's development.
uh yeah
ignorant because "I don't know why he would make it work like that" among all the other things that I don't know

anyway...
is there any particular reason that it's such a small number? instead of something like 128, for example?

uh yeah
ignorant because "I don't know why he would make it work like that" among all the other things that I don't know

anyway...
is there any particular reason that it's such a small number? instead of something like 128, for example?

It's ignorant to call a decision dumb just because you don't understand the logic behind it, yeah.

I think 64 was just seen as a decent number of colors - things start to get a bit crazy when you have 128, particularly the UI.

The only complaint I have with the color limit is that it isn't a factor of 9, so people who like to use the max number of colors have uneven rows.  Uneven rows make me mad :(

The only complaint I have with the color limit is that it isn't a factor of 9, so people who like to use the max number of colors have uneven rows.  Uneven rows make me mad :(
Just do 8x8 and have undulo hidden.