Author Topic: Universal Colorset  (Read 1470 times)

It's ignorant to call a decision dumb just because you don't understand the logic behind it, yeah.
I think 64 was just seen as a decent number of colors - things start to get a bit crazy when you have 128, particularly the UI.
I agree that it was dumb to call it dumb. I'd honestly have never considered that it would be a network thing, and your post was the first mention I've seen of it

but couldn't that be dealt with? as far as the UI goes, you could try using different tabs for parts of the colorset

What an ignorant thing to say. It's a good thing your opinion doesn't have any influence in this game's development.

A limit of 64 colors is a network optimization. There could be up to 256,000 bricks on a server and telling the client that each of those bricks is a color between 0-63 uses a lot less bandwidth than telling the client each brick is "240 32 48 255" (that's a difference of 0-63 compared to 0-4294967295 or thereabouts, for 256,000 bricks - don't quote me on the math but it's a lot).

This could be worked around by making a new color ID for each new color someone would make. Normal players could have a limit of 64 colors made while the admins and host get 256 (as an example) and that would be customizable via the Advanced Settings of the server. I also get that even this way, it would make for an inconvenient packet size, but I think even 65,000 colors for twice the color loading time is a good compromise. [On the flipside, I have no idea how a datablock could be made after the server is already up.]

This also made me think of something else: Why don't basic bricks have custom sizes? Surely it'd be easier to send the size of one large brick wall than the positions of many 12 wide 5x height bricks. It would also make it easier to build things and would potentially reduce the spam caused by people too lazy to find the right brick size to fit what they're trying to build.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:02:34 AM by darerd »

Like when a rainbow is shown and you drag a circle to select a color?
I'd have a hell of a time trying to get a good brown color.

I'd have a hell of a time trying to get a good brown color.
oranges. brown is nothing but dirty oranges.