Need new laptop for college

Author Topic: Need new laptop for college  (Read 2832 times)

I wouldn't go for the HP imo

Yeah, same here. Too many people saying that their models heat up easily.

Yeah, same here. Too many people saying that their models heat up easily.
my father used to own one and they come with tons of bloatware. they force you to hit the FN key before pressing F8 or any key of that kind, because of all their stupid "shortcut" hotkeys

do you even know what you're saying

the specs on that thinkpad are pretty good for the price. although its not great looking, its the best so far for the price. I wouldn't go for the HP imo
yes, ive used those for 2 years it couldnt hold a loving charge

yes, ive used those for 2 years it couldnt hold a loving charge
I had one for ~3 years and it was fine until I dropped it, never had a battery problem

I use this on a day to day basis. It's a beast. link

I own the mid-range tier version with an i7 processor.

I use this on a day to day basis. It's a beast. link

I own the mid-range tier version with an i7 processor.
overpriced

overpriced

>workstation
>NVIDIA Quadro K3000M

Of course it's expensive. It's not over-priced though.

Knowing a lot of people in computer science and software engineering, you'll have no problem completing the curriculum with a $300 netbook. If you want to buy something fancier that's up to you. Having something with 4 to 6GB of RAM can be useful if you need to run a linux VM for a class (I know a few people who had to do it) but 2GB is fine if you just dualboot instead. If they require you to do any programming that requires 3D rendering, parallel processing, or using linux then they should give you access to lab computers that will be able to do whatever you need it to do.

I can tell you that in fall and spring semesters I have very little time to play games. I don't know about other people but I would not recommend buying a gaming laptop.

If I could go back in time and buy a new laptop for college, (I currently have an Inspiron 17R), these would be my criteria:

- Easy to disassemble and service parts - those hard drives trays that are on the side of laptops that require you to only remove 1 or 2 screws to pop out the hard drive are amazing but unfortunately they're mostly on business/enterprise laptops.
- Small and lightweight (not a 17 inch screen)
- Something with long battery life
- 2.4 and 5ghz dual band wireless card

I have 4 computers that I use at college.
- My gaming desktop. It's hooked up to a TV in the living room. I built this with the income from my first job and have upgraded it over the years. Mostly use it for netflix, youtube, spotify, and DVDs, but now that it's the summer again I have time to play games.

- Low power "media center" mini-ITX PC with a 40gb ssd running linux. Sits on my desk and I use it for doing research and classwork. Someone gave it to me for free because they bought a new media center for their TV and the resell value on a barebones mini-ITX machine that was originally worth $150 and has no hard drive is basically nothing. I spent maybe $60 on an ssd for it and another $20 for a wireless card and that's it. The computer actually stutters if you try and do anything as demanding as play a youtube video full screen at 720p, so it's a great computer to use for classwork because you won't get distracted by anything else.

- Laptop I bought my first year of college. It's got 8GB of ram and a widescreen so I could use it for AutoCAD. I switched majors, I mostly use it for browsing the Internet now and occasionally typing papers and running simulations in Multisim. The 8GB is ram is useful for running lots of virtual machines.

- Netbook that I got for free because someone caused a head crash on the hard drive (probably by squeezing the keyboard). They bought it on sale so time required to replace hard drive + parts would cost more than replacing the netbook. Someone gave be an old 16gb ssd for free so I've got the computer working again. Bought a USB GPS for it and put maps and all my car's repair manuals on it, it is now my car/travel computer. Eventually I'd like to build a car mount for it. I increasingly use the netbook around the apartment because a netbook is just such a convenient form factor.

I have two docking stations for my workstation within my house, downstairs and upstairs. I mainly use it downstairs as that's the laptop I use my school work on. The workstation tagged in my signature is the one I mainly use because I like to fiddle with desktops. That laptop is pretty much stock with Microsoft Office Professional products and Adobe Premium Creative Suite 5 on it.

I would really recommend buying a far cheaper laptop, somewhere in the $300-500 range.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Windows 8, but Surface looks pretty fantastic for doing stuff like watching videos and doing college work.

Just get a chrome book
they are cheap as Russian Mail Order Brides, and they work fine.
They are $300, so you get a nice deal for a cheap laptop.
If you aren't satisfied with Chrome OS, install ubuntu 13.04 on it lol.

The problem with maximizing battery life seems to be that laptops with great battery life are either really crappy netbooks or crazy expensive apple-style ones.  I have both the money and the snobbish standards that a $350 netbook just won't cut it, but it seems that battery life just plummets after that.

Looking more into ultrabooks, they actually seem to generally have terrible battery life, since battery is sacrificed for size.

Comments on this one?  Supposedly it gets up to 8 hours of battery life.

IdeaPad U510

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=59384267&category_id=A5EDE07AEFFF37FC2ED299C05F7A7051

Total: $649.00

System Components
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3537U Processor (2.0GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
Windows 8 64
Intel HD Graphics 4000
6.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" HD Glossy with integrated camera 1366x768
500GB 5400 RPM
6 Cell Li-Polymer
Intel Centrino Wireless -N 2230
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Notebook
Integrated HD 1.0MP Camera

Apple Macbook Pro, very solid well performing laptop with a fantastic battery life, everyone I know who purchased one for University hasn't looked back!

Apple Macbook Pro, very solid well performing laptop with a fantastic battery life, everyone I know who purchased one for University hasn't looked back!
meh

So I found out that sony is bundling all customizable S-series laptops with a free sheet battery, which gives basically all of them a solid 10 hours of battery life.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644768015

VAIO S Custom Laptop

Total: $1019.99

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3320M (2.60GHz / 3.30GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 64-bit
13.3" LED backlit display (1600 x 900)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
1TB (5400rpm) hard drive
8GB (4GB fixed onboard + 4GB removable) DDR3-1333MHz
CD/DVD player / burner
Internal lithium polymer battery (4400mAh)

Even without the sheet battery, this still gets around 4.5 hours of battery life
Total: $999.99

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 64-bit
15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (1GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
750GB (7200rpm) hard drive
8GB (4GB fixed onboard + 4GB removable) DDR3-1333MHz
CD/DVD player / burner

This one is 2 inches larger, so it has a better screen resolution and is about a pound heavier.
The battery also lasts more than an hour less than the 13 inch one.
However, the sheet battery is also two inches larger and still puts this past 10 hours.
Apparently the graphics card does not impact battery life significantly.
Total: $799.99

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 64-bit
13.3" LED backlit display (1366 x 768)
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 with Intel® Wireless Display technology
500GB (7200rpm) hard drive
4GB (4GB fixed onboard + 1 open slot) DDR3-1333Mhz
CD/DVD player / burner

This gets about half an hour longer battery life than the first one without the sheet battery, and probably a solid hour+ longer with.
Not sure if the overall downgrade is worth saving $200 though

Anyone have any experience with sheet batteries?  I don't see them very often, so I don't know if that means they are actually terrible or what.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:50:15 PM by Nexus »