Native Dedicated/Dedicated LAN server for Linux?

Author Topic: Native Dedicated/Dedicated LAN server for Linux?  (Read 710 times)

Just to let everyone know, Blockland works with full compatibility under linux when used with the Wine program, having a native version would just seem more awesome (playing and hosting a dedicated server). It works so well that it can even host a dedicated Speedkart server with about 4 players on a computer that ony has 240mb of memory. Now if a dedicated Blockland server with Wine runs so well why should I be asking for a native version which requires work/time? It's just for the sole purpose of not having to have a dependency to run Blockland on linux, and of course a native version always brings out a little bit more performance. Another reason to have a native version is that not all linux distributions such as CentOS have wine in their repositories, which require people to get the downloads from other 3rd party or unknown repositories/places. A lot of games already support dedicated servers natively on linux including Minecraft, Garry's Mod, Counter Strike Source, Left 4 Dead 2, even Call of Duty 4 (I have set up all of these). My third and sort of final reason is that it shouldn't be too hard for Badspot to make a dedicated linux server and he also knows how to work around in linux, considering Blockland's master server runs on Linux.

Thanks to everyone.

Why do we need Blockland on Linux, it's not a operating system that the regular computer user has. And are you sure that Blockland's master server runs on Linux?

Why do we need Blockland on Linux, it's not a operating system that the regular computer user has. And are you sure that Blockland's master server runs on Linux?
idk if you're stupid or what.

idk if you're stupid or what.
Well it is true, I know that most computer people in the Blockland community uses Linux, but I'm not sure about the rest of the community.

Well it is true, I know that most computer people in the Blockland community uses Linux, but I'm not sure about the rest of the community.
he said
server

not running the game natively on linux. wine does just fine right now.

he said
server

That's what I meant, running a dedicated Blockland server.

he said
server

I said this but then I also said how not all distros have packaged versions of wine on default repositories (yes you can package them yourself but its difficult for most people). I also said how if wine runs this well imagine even more performance that could get squeezed out. I'm happy with wine on BL it works great, I just want to get some feedback from Basspot if he were to ever make a linux dedicated server for Blockland and when.

Linux sucks so I don't agree

I said this but then I also said how not all distros have packaged versions of wine on default repositories (yes you can package them yourself but its difficult for most people). I also said how if wine runs this well imagine even more performance that could get squeezed out. I'm happy with wine on BL it works great, I just want to get some feedback from Basspot if he were to ever make a linux dedicated server for Blockland and when.
There's really no difference in speed between programs run on Windows and those run with Wine. Programs with Wine pretty much run natively.

We really don't need this that badly. Anyone who couldn't figure out how to set up Wine on a distribution that doesn't include it in a package manager wouldn't be using that distribution anyway. In addition, Blockland runs extremely quickly through Wine regardless. Of course, a native version would be nice, but it really isn't needed.

I was under the impression it's on their to-do list.

We really don't need this that badly. Anyone who couldn't figure out how to set up Wine on a distribution that doesn't include it in a package manager wouldn't be using that distribution anyway. In addition, Blockland runs extremely quickly through Wine regardless. Of course, a native version would be nice, but it really isn't needed.
Official testing of Blockland under Wine would be helpful.