Author Topic: How do I change my computer username?  (Read 1169 times)

It still says it's spencer!

ok well in that case.

OP, follow these instructions exactly as I write them.

1) hit WINDOWS KEY and the letter "R" at the same time

2) type "regedit.exe" without the quotes and press OK

3) click the arrow next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

4) click the arrow next to "SOFTWARE"

5) click the arrow next to "Microsoft"

6) click the arrow next to "Windows NT"

7) click on the folder "CurrentVersion"

8) find "RegisteredOwner" on the right hand side. right click it and select "modify"

9) enter the new name, hit OK, close regedit

10) restart your computer

this still will not fully change the name, I've encountered the problem of changing my username in the past, the only way I've ever seen is reinstalling windows/create another account and copy everything over to it

this still will not fully change the name, I've encountered the problem of changing my username in the past, the only way I've ever seen is reinstalling windows/create another account and copy everything over to it

you're right. I tried it myself just now to make sure and the filepath didn't change.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:50:11 PM by AlsoSulfate »

-snip-

Control panel
Users
Change name

you're right. I tried it myself just now to make sure and the filepath didn't change.

Huh. Damn.

-snip-

Control panel
Users
Change name

that will not change the filepath. of course we could have told him that.

changing your account name, or computer name, or RegisteredOwner all will not change the filepath.

to those who aren't sure what we're trying to help him with, he needs to change the name of the folder that things are stored under when you go to the "users" folder. for a lot of people this will be "Owner". the only way to change this appears to be on creation of a new account or reinstallation of windows.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:48:21 PM by AlsoSulfate »

Aw this sucks. I made a new user on my computer. How do I copy all my stuff from this user to that one?

that will not change the filepath. of course we could have told him that.

changing your account name, or computer name, or RegisteredOwner all will not change the filepath.
C:\Users\spencer!\...

I'm pretty sure that changing the username from "spencer!" to something else will change the name of that folder.

EDIT: Maybe not.

C:\Users\spencer!\...

I'm pretty sure that changing the username from "spencer!" to something else will change the name of that folder.
Tried it. Nothing.

Can you move Minecraft to a different directory as it suggests?

Can you move Minecraft to a different directory as it suggests?
How

How
This website has an interesting fix. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/184636-how-to-change-minecraft-data-directory/

You will have to use a .bat file to open Minecraft every time, but it is pretty easy to replace a Minecraft shortcut with a shortcut for a .bat file.

do you have any other user accounts on the computer?