Poll

Worth the time?

Yeah
Don't care
Nah

Author Topic: Better development communication  (Read 996 times)

I know there are plenty of topics relating to what could or should be done to get Blockland more well known in the gaming community, but I haven't seen this one suggested yet and it's a pretty large thing to me and many other avid gamers.

If you look at any major indie games, eg. Minecraft, they have near constant development news and communication with their customers.  When Blockland switched from versions to revisions, meaning more frequent updates, that was a very needed and well done step taken towards this, but we can still go a month or two with no word on the development of the game.  This literally means that no work could be made for weeks and we would never know, not that I'm saying Eric is obligated to work on this game every second of his life, but I think to get a game on Greenlight or the such, you would need an active development team or leader.

Badspot does indeed have a Twitter account, which is rarely used, but I think if just simple updates to what he was currently working on or what he plans on working on in the near future would prove to any company interested in selling Blockland on their client, that we have an active and resourceful developer.

That's just my thoughts, and it would be nice to see some change in this aspect.
Discuss what you think

I agree with this. Maybe a group of individuals from the forums.

I suppose, but when I'm looking at a game I'm generally not interested in development that much. I buy and play games not for the future but the state that they're in in the present. But, I bet a lot of people would be happy to see this happen.

A little word from Badspot to say what he's making would be great, though.

I do indeed agree with this, we need information on the updates while hes working on it, next thing you know theres a update, but he never talked about it to us.

I do indeed agree with this, we need information on the updates while hes working on it, next thing you know theres a update, but he never talked about it to us.
I kind of like that but then I hate it too lol. Well basically, should we be like everybody else about how releasing goes or be different?

As everybody else said, I agree. Communication goes a long way, Especially now with developers sometimes talking daily about what they're doing (Starbound, Early days of minecraft, etc) or on facebook/Steam community talking to people.

It's a bit like Cube world, That guy could be dead for all we know. (He's getting better at it though.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:25:32 AM by tails »

I completely agree. It would be very helpful if they had better PR.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:11:00 AM by Greek2me »

That is probably because Blockland has a very small team.
When Minecraft started out, with only Notch and afterwards with Jeb, the communications weren't the best either.
But now their team have growed, there is more time to spend at communicating.
Starbound development team is also quite large, at least twice as large as the team behind Blockland.

So yeah, PR is not the best thing in here, but i can imagine why.
On top of that, the time they spend on PR here is on the forums, which require a lot of work too.

loving hipster
What, how am I a hipster? And next time completely quote my sentence or add 3 dots, BIATCH.

When Minecraft started out, with only Notch and afterwards with Jeb, the communications weren't the best either.
He posted on his blog daily, You woke up and though "I better check notches blog and see what's happened!"

He posted on his blog daily, You woke up and though "I better check notches blog and see what's happened!"
Daily?
Maybe weekly now you mention it, but yeah okay.

Daily?
Maybe weekly now you mention it, but yeah okay.
http://notch.tumblr.com/archive Check early, July 2010 and so on.

I would definitely appreciate if Badspot took the time on talking about the future and on going development of Blockland. That would also be good evidence for Steam to see that we are worthy of being green lit as well. An active development, even on a completed game like Blockland, is always nice to have.