Add-on that prevents more than one user with the same key joinining

Author Topic: Add-on that prevents more than one user with the same key joinining  (Read 844 times)

I remember my friend and his brother wanted to play on I think a racing server, my friend could join but his brother couldn’t however if we went on my server or another person's server both of them could join in. I asked the host about it and he said that its an add-on that prevents two or more people joining a server with the same key, he didnt say if it was private or public.

My question is why is this add-on allowed if it technically is "breaking the game"? The rules on the blockland.us website state that more than one user can a use a key as long as they are in the same house, so thats nice and dandy when you go to purchase the game but then find out that because of a user made addon you can no longer use that feature which is part of the game.

The other people using the same key can be differentiated by clan tags, so I really dont see the problem.

Mutliple users using the same key can be a problem for many server, for example if it supposed to save things to a database or whatever and both people have the same blid then they will overwrite each others data and everything messes up

I also ensure that only one user can have a specific blid, if he joins a second the first one is thrown out. This ensures he isn't trying to cheat by using multiple clients, or trying to get the server full so noone can join, and so nothing breaks server-sided.

it isn't breaking the game. it isn't a 'feature' of the game to share your key on the same IP.

the reason why people have mods like this depends on their case

for administration, they may find it annoying to keep track of two people with the same name and if only one of the people using the key is doing it wrong you can't really punish just one of them outside kicking

some mods may not count on multiple people using the same BL_ID

When hosting such gamemodes that depend on data being stored for each blid I also ensure that only one user can have a specific blid, if he joins a second the first one is thrown out. This ensures he isn't trying to cheat by using multiple clients, or trying to get the server full so noone can join, and so nothing breaks server-sided.
Fixed

it isn't breaking the game. it isn't a 'feature' of the game to share your key on the same IP.

the reason why people have mods like this depends on their case

for administration, they may find it annoying to keep track of two people with the same name and if only one of the people using the key is doing it wrong you can't really punish just one of them outside kicking

some mods may not count on multiple people using the same BL_ID
How is it not a feature if it says on the website that you can share BLIDs as long as you are in the same house (same IP). The thing about the databases and saving makes sense, I wish there was a workaround that. Well this sucks.

How is it not a feature if it says on the website that you can share BLIDs as long as you are in the same house (same IP). The thing about the databases and saving makes sense, I wish there was a workaround that. Well this sucks.
that doesn't make it a feature, that's a statement about how something works

Sadly there is no work around. The only thing you are able to do to fix this, is buy another key for your brother. But hey you're in luck! Blockland is currently during a 75% off sale for a limited time, you can get a key for only $5.00!

The thing about the databases and saving makes sense, I wish there was a workaround that. Well this sucks.
There is no way to work around that since the blids are the only information that will always stay the same for one player
If you create it based on name and clan tags, players will lose their data every time that change their name of clan tag and that sucks