Author Topic: Brickbucket - Effortless low-latency auto-updating  (Read 4470 times)

Nullable, perhaps implement a method for blacklisting any add-on that pushes out malicious code, preventing it from being used?

I do agree with Ephi here, this could be pretty dangerous without some form of moderation.
While I'd rather not store anything permanently on the server, it should be possible if the need arises.

This addon seems fine to me, if you don't trust the person you are getting an addon from don't download it

This addon seems fine to me, if you don't trust the person you are getting an addon from don't download it

Typically short-sighted post from Ben Grapevine as usual. The vast majority of users don't consider things like this. Most users are aged between 8 to 14 and it's no good just telling them to only download things from people they trust. They're going to see something and want it - and you can't just say "well that's their fault then" because that's totally ignorant and irresponsible.

There's also the issue of repo accounts getting jacked and malicious code being pushed without the authors knowledge. People in this community are getting phished and tricked out of keys, forum accounts and email accounts all the time.

It's on me, Rotondo and Badspot to consider these things, I can't just mindlessly post "lol cool addon xD" like everyone else.

Here's what I do, since it seems to serve both interests.

• The add-on is hosted using the RTB service.
  • I have an update-notifier service which lets clients know that there is an update and displays the change log.
  • The clients update the mod from in-game. For RTB users, the mod is downloaded directly using the Mod Manager. Non-RTB users are taken to the mod's page on the RTB website.

Here's what I do, since it seems to serve both interests.

• The add-on is hosted using the RTB service.
  • I have an update-notifier service which lets clients know that there is an update and displays the change log.
  • The clients update the mod from in-game. For RTB users, the mod is downloaded directly using the Mod Manager. Non-RTB users are taken to the mod's page on the RTB website.
That is not at all what this is trying to do. This is an attempt at making an auto-updater that:
  • Requires no (manual) modification of the add-on itself
  • Is automatically synced from version control
Your method is pretty much opposite of these goals, instead solving a completely unrelated problem (displaying update notifications for RTB add-ons even when RTB isn't installed).

That is not at all what this is trying to do. This is an attempt at making an auto-updater that:
  • Requires no (manual) modification of the add-on itself
  • Is automatically synced from version control
Your method is pretty much opposite of these goals, instead solving a completely unrelated problem (displaying update notifications for RTB add-ons even when RTB isn't installed).

Yes, I like your idea. I'll probably use it for some things once you release it.

How will this actually work, what does the user have to do to update? How does what detect updates to the github?

How will this actually work, what does the user have to do to update?
The user downloads the add-on through a special website, which downloads it from GitHub/Bitbucket and repackages it with a metadata file. When the user launches blockland it connects to the server and asks for the latest versions of all the installed add-ons. If any versions mismatch then the user will be prompted with a list of out-of-date add-ons, each entry containing information about the current version, new version, a link to the diff, and an option to download the update. Selecting to update automatically downloads and executes the add-on.

How does what detect updates to the github?
There is a server which queries GitHub for the latest versions, as well as doing applicable caching. The client compares SHA commit hashes, and prompts an update on any mismatch.