Author Topic: Making custom wheels for vehicles?  (Read 785 times)

As the title says, how would I do this?

1. Open your modeling program.
2. Make a wheel.  :cookieMonster:
3. Add two empties: detail32 and Shape.
4. Parent wheel to detail32, and detail32 to Shape.
5. Export dts.

Make sure your wheel is centered on the grid, and that y is the forward axis.

What do you mean by 'empties'

An empty is an object that has no mesh, material, or anything; it's simply a placeholder with coordinates. However, they are necessary for the dts exporter to work. If you use Blender, go to Add > Empty.

1. Open your modeling program.
2. Make a wheel.  :cookieMonster:
3. Add two empties: detail32 and Shape.
4. Parent wheel to detail32, and detail32 to Shape.
5. Export dts.

Make sure your wheel is centered on the grid, and that y is the forward axis.
How would you do that in Milkshape?

An empty is an object that has no mesh, material, or anything; it's simply a placeholder with coordinates. However, they are necessary for the dts exporter to work. If you use Blender, go to Add > Empty.
I use Milkshape

I don't use Milkshape, but it's the same process. You'll need to just figure out where the "Add Empty" button is. Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help!

I don't use Milkshape, but it's the same process. You'll need to just figure out where the "Add Empty" button is. Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help!
Milkshape doesn't have 'empties'.

Ok, so I did a little research, and it would seem that Milkshape uses bones instead of empties. So, everywhere I said use empties, use a bone. If that fails, get Blender 2.49, the Blender dts exporter, export your model(s) from Milkshape and import into Blender (.3ds or .obj should work just fine). Then, do what I said with the empties, and export as a dts from Blender.