Author Topic: Competition: Win a FREE RTB dedicated server  (Read 18435 times)

Coburn's Lounge

Basically something similar to Gmod Tower where you can hang out and chat while also having the ability to check out the area's minigames, such as the skii slopes, the pool, and many other things. I think it's been under development for a couple of years now and I've been trying to get Coburn to come back to it by pestering him on skype. I think if he is encouraged and shown that other people would like such an idea he would focus on this more. Players will be able to rent out lounges that have been built around the compound, allowing them to have private talks, or even host parties. I just think Blockland really lacks calm lounge servers where you can take a break from DMing or boss battling or endless mining and have a talk with your friends. I know RTB exists for this exact reason but tell me, who wouldn't want a physical lounge made of bricks? It would be neat, right? :D

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:26:57 PM by Kqgqn »

yes, it would be very interesting to have a server in BL where there is no fighting or any crap.

just relaxation

^i like this one

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:51:02 AM by Deadzone »

Coburn's Lounge
-snip-

I remember seeing it in person, it was really nice!

Support

EDIT: I really think Fob's RP has a great potential too

Medieval RPG

Support

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:35:22 AM by Barnabas »

Entry

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=236336.0
Predator gamemode i'm working on, topic is just a little teaser, to get your minds racing, all hand build no duplicator.
Stealth/Horror mix.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:11:54 PM by Starzy »

[this is an opinion post]
ok i'm tired of all the tdm/dm/zombie/rp ideas being put here

there is nothing new or original in any of the ideas; its all combat based and the same as many of the TDM's or RP's out there. Regardless of the quality of the TDM/RP/ZDM/etc its not an "innovative server idea/theme" as explicitly explained in the OP.
So recently there's definitely been a lack of innovative server ideas and themes which is why we've decided to run a competition to encourage some creativity and imagination within the community.

sure, then, you'd argue that Coburn's Lounge or Build&Support isn't innovative. In a way, it isn't. However, unlike a TDM/DM/ZDM/etc it provides a service this community does not have. They can function without a full server, and with fewer moderators, a quality that lacks in the other suggestions.

Coburn's Lounge is a neat way to hang out with friends and kind of sit around marveling at the quality of the build. There's many secrets, minigames, etc, all which caters to the different demographics of BL players. The exploration aspect as well makes it have a "v20 map" quality, as you can take the time on your own or with friends to find all the places and secrets in the map. In addition, the different styles used in the build (due to multiple player contributions) can also be examined to improve your own building skills. Deathmatches and the like don't really give the opportunity to do so, let alone have a build worth examining. There are a few, but a build like Coburn's Lounge still has all the other aspects that a DM can't have.
I'll admit that a few RP's suggested here are also very good in terms of build quality. But it still doesn't necessarily provides a quality build where everything in it is easy to access and/or examine for the purpose of improving self skill. And the high brickcount of an RP build can turn off players using less powerful computers (ex: me) who can't handle 50+k bricks (or 20+k bricks in the same screen). The lag from simply moving around and trying to explore would hinder any attempt to examine in detail.

Build&Support is basically the same, except it will start from scratch and turn more towards the building aspect, not so much exploration. Check the post to see the idea in better detail; I won't uselessly repeat everything here. Yes, I know, its my idea.

Coburn's Lounge and Build&Support offers things not currently available on the server listings: a central lounge that is fun to explore and mess around with friends, and a central "freebuild"-esque server that could (not guaranteed, sadly) consolidate much of the community's skill into one build, and limit them less like Block Party does.

(i believe in what im saying, not just trying to protect fob and derroith)

i really like coburns build, but from everything ive seen, hangout servers are popular for a day or two then nobody comes back
the build and support game mode is cool, i went to mr cookies when it was up and it seems nice. im not sure that many people are very good at building, and those who aren't wont get much support.. watching other people build isn't always the most fun

i feel like some of you are getting too wrapped up in the 'new' aspect.. dont get me wrong, i would love to see new servers, but i would prefer a popular overused server than an empty one. i believe that there is still fun to be had in 'over'used servers

basically, i like the server ideas but i don't see them going anywhere. correct me if im wrong of course

[quote -snip-
[/quote]
Was working on something the EXACT SAME as this,and failed anyway /support

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=236336.0
all hand build
To be quite honest I don't find stacked cubes appealing.

As for all the support, thank you! I've been wanting to get Coburn back on his lounge and hopefully we will get it all working :)

So if a person who came up with an idea won will they have to make the ideas into a server or will you?