Author Topic: Getting server.cs to load in a gamemode  (Read 1477 times)

I had a gamemode.txt with the following:
Code: [Select]
ADDON Player_No_Jet
*other config stuff*
No-Jet was loading up fine, but server.cs in the gamemode folder wasn't running. I asked Port and he informed me I also need to tell the gamemode to load its own files when the gamemode is loaded, presumably because badspot needs to be put away in a mental institution. So now it's
Code: [Select]
ADDON GameMode_Folder_Name
ADDON Player_No_Jet
*other config stuff*
And No-Jet still loads but server.cs still isn't running. I don't see any errors cropping up either.
What do

I am not sure how this can be fixed, I think we just need some more info, are you able to post your file?

If you can't get the server.cs in the gamemode working, you could just make an add-on with a server.cs and load it from the gamemode?

Does your gamemode have description.txt

Tell us what is in your gamemode's folder/zip, it would be pretty useful.

It has all the required files in the GameMode Reference topic, and additionally a dts for a weapon and a png for the weapon icon. It also has namecheck.txt and a .cs file that is supposed to be exec'd by server.cs.

I didn't add more details because I can't think of anything relevant. The real clincher here is that I got it up and running with no errors and loading any default add-on I want via gamemode.txt; I just can't get it to run its own server.cs. I know server.cs is not running because I copy-pasted echoing a string literal like 30 times right at the start of the file.

Hypothetically if I made it two add-ons instead of one, with both being completely useless without the other, I'm pretty sure it would get failed on the RTB submission; I've been failed for way less legitimate reasons than that.

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Try starting the custom GameMode, and choose your Add-On to be activated. It should run the server.cs file without any of the special GameMode logic. If it works there then you know that Blockland at least sees it as a properly setup Add-On. All I can think of from that point would be that there's a spelling issue somewhere.

did you include the colorSet.txt file?

I've included colorset.txt and checked spelling about 10 times since I figured that was the most likely culprit. When I have time I'll try copy-pasting a default gamemode and putting my files in one at a time to see if I can find a problem.

I'm assuming that you did NOT actually add a line that literally says "Gamemode_Folder_Name", seeing as it is HIGHLY unlikely that you named your gamemode that.

Could you upload a zip that reproduces the problem so that we can examine it?

The problem went away on its own. My guess is that I probably moved in some files after launching BL but before loading the gamemode, and there was some problem with file discovery.

Yeah, blockland seems to have some weird client-sided cache system with gamemode files.

Yeah, blockland seems to have some weird client-sided cache system with gamemode files.
How so?