Author Topic: pacific rim  (Read 4316 times)

comes out friday, got to see it 10 pm today.
if you are going to see this: watch it in 3d xd. it may be the best 3d movie i've seen (forget you avatar)

also the movie was forgeten amazing holy stuff

I'm painting a giant robot before going to see it :D

All I want is to see Godzilla vs giant robo

also to the rest of you comparing it to some anime, keep in mind the concept has be regurgitated by many films before and is not a ripoff to your precious girls in plugsuits.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:03:15 AM by Tayasaurus »

I'm painting a giant robot before going to see it :D

All I want is to see Godzilla vs giant robo

also to the rest of you comparing it to some anime, keep in mind the concept has be regurgitated by many films before and is not a ripoff to your precious girls in plugsuits.
there was one point where (minor spoilers) the japanese co pilot brought out the sword, was about to cut a kaiju, and yelling something in japanese, which reminded me of anime

also the loving xd screening was so goddamn loud, it was painful hearing the kaiju screech, yet it was so visually stunning
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:10:15 AM by Niven »

also i just want to add: the acting was pretty decent by everyone except the loving scientists

seriously charlie day and the other guy can go forget themselves

on a scale of one to ten how realistic did it try to play giant robots

one being like, gurren lagann, and ten being dai-guard

No

You get a zero on the scale

This movie is intended more to loosely mimic the classic Kaiju films. More noteably the live action ones. (Cardboard box suits lulz) (But with CGI and way better effects, and no crummy-ass movements)

How about a more realistic scale that is comparable to maybe Godzilla perhaps

Guillermo del Toro said that there will be a video game based off the sequel if the movie is successful, AND it will have a proper 3-year development time

except it's also homage to classic giant robots

like del toro said straight-up that gipsy danger is similar to 80s' tetsujin, the plot is basically dai-guard plus neon genesis, and gipsy danger is STUPID CLOSE to being american mazinger

i mean for forget's sake it's got breast fire

except it's also homage to classic giant robots

You got a point. But personally I can find plenty of examples of giant robots that were not from an anime. The director himself said he tried to make a point of completely putting out reference material after the robots were built. The synopsis won't determine the substance of the film in the long run.

Just like the overtly annoying-at-times anime fanbase of Evangelion (don't get me wrong. I freaking love that anime), I could bring up a comparison from Macross which also cashed in on the same idea. Evangelion is not the original template. It's been done before.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:11:35 AM by Tayasaurus »

on a scale of one to ten how realistic did it try to play giant robots

pretty realistic, the jaegers felt heavy and solid. slow paced yet powerful.

Did the control voice sound anything like GLaDOS? Gonna watch this later this week along with The World War Z.

Pretty sure Ellen McLain voiced this, so it is GLaDOS' voice

Indeed she does, but it's a little known fact Ellen McLain doesn't actually sound like a phycho insane robot. They still have to use a filter to change the voice eh.

on a scale of one to ten, how badass does the russian trailer sound?

also, they tried to make the computer sound like an early Soviet film computer, and promptly forgeted Ellen's voice up. i don't have headphones that work with my PC yet, but the second top comment exclaims "WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH GLADOS?!" so I kind of have an idea of what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:05:52 AM by Cybertails1998 »

Indeed she does, but it's a little known fact Ellen McLain doesn't actually sound like a phycho insane robot. They still have to use a filter to change the voice eh.
They used Glados in the trailer, but the movie had a different voice. But it did sound like her at times.