Author Topic: 64x Cubes no longer correctly cull faces  (Read 1570 times)

Just noticed this today, but all 64x cubes do not cull. Culling is when unseen faces are hidden, reducing framerates dramatically.

(left to right: default cubes, zone bricks, terrain cubes)

INCORRECT CULLING

CORRECT CULLING

If you don't believe me, download the save below and try it for yourself. I've tried it on two different servers, and with the freebuild gamemode.

I can confirm that Trey is 100% correct.
Good work, Trey.

So is this bad or good?
Culling is when unseen faces are hidden, reducing framerates dramatically.
64x cubes do not cull, which is bad.

So is this bad or good?
Depends on the build, but for the one end is working on (about 5k 64x cubes in a big cube), a lack of culling makes the overall efficiency of the bricks about 5.8%, 29500 faces where there are only 1700 necessary.

Very interesting, thanks for this. Hope Badspot fixes this.

Do they cull when the faces are covered by bricks other than 64x cubes?

fix ur stuff pls bspo

Do they cull when the faces are covered by bricks other than 64x cubes?
Interestingly enough, yes

Badspot

• Administrator
This is intentional.  The amount of time it takes to calculate hidden surfaces on a 64x cube can lead to a huge hitch and the performance gain isn't that big in most cases.  It's just not worth it. 

This is intentional.  The amount of time it takes to calculate hidden surfaces on a 64x cube can lead to a huge hitch and the performance gain isn't that big in most cases.  It's just not worth it. 
Ah, makes sence.
Basically placing alot of 64x cubes lag more when culling is on, instaid of when it is off.

Couldn't you just make one check to see if the adjacent brick is a 64x cube as well? Gridded 64x cube configurations are fairly common in big builds