Author Topic: Accidentally downloaded a virus; What should I do?  (Read 1997 times)

Yesterday, I accidentally downloaded a virus in a RAR archive, and it turns out to be the iStealer trojan. I immediately deleted the RAR archive but failed to completely wipe out the file (permanently erase it). Would I be in the clear considering the file was in a Sandboxed environment (using Sandboxie) and the fact I never executed the virus?

if all you did was open the archive, you're fine

Boot in safemode and run MalwareBytes

Well, just checked my registry and windows files on my real windows and my sandbox. Luckily, it looks like I don't have the trojan, but from a source, they said it can grab my passwords from cache, or will that only happen if I actually executed the virus? (I just permanently erased the sandbox the file was in. The virus seemingly never ran in the sandbox either, but I'm not taking chances.)

system restore point

system restore point

If the virus never executed, would I even need to do a system restore. Also considering I don't have one within the last 3 days, I highly doubt it'd do anything.

If you sandbox is worth anything you should just be able to wipe all registry and files from the sandbox. Essentially reset the entire sandbox. That's what they're designed to do and this is exactly what they're used for.

If you sandbox is worth anything you should just be able to wipe all registry and files from the sandbox. Essentially reset the entire sandbox. That's what they're designed to do and this is exactly what they're used for.

I'm about to wipe out everything that's in my Sandboxie folder, after I try to overwrite the virus file indirectly.

Welcome to hotel rat

Panic

Anti-Virus it up!

too late now, i mean they already have control of your every file now, might as well buy new pc. the rar file extension allows dirty programs to install themselves like an os on your current os and be a parasite to it basically, sucking all its code to them. no joke they are spying on you right now through your camera

advice: stop trying to download archives of research. all of them are viruses. all of them.

they infected your whole harddrive, i suggest taking it out and smashing it with a hammer
t hh          ey    s ee       y O uU

If you just opened the rar file then you won't need to do anything but delete the file, it's only if you run the exe or if the virus somehow self executes when you open it (Highly unlikely)