Author Topic: Working Elevators!  (Read 88813 times)

It would be cool if the elevators hit a vehicle, they would make a crinkling sound.

DING!

(I'm a giant fan of the Dingdong on the doors.They=fun!)

Nah, I like to reuse as many BL sounds as possible (provided they fit my needs), so I'll be using the default BL vehicle explosion sound, and some manner of particle effect.

Now I just need to go find a good sound for the Elevator doors opening and closing.

How about the *whooosht* noise from various Star Wars movies? Love that sound!
*whooosht*

Now I just need to go find a good sound for the Elevator doors opening and closing.

How about the *whooosht* noise from various Star Wars movies? Love that sound!
*whooosht*
QFT

Well, it's been over two months since I posted the first video of my Elevators.  I've come a long way since then.  With lots of testing help from the community, the Elevators are now a very fun and usable feature in game.

Here's a run-down on what's been done so far:

[li]Elevators can be made any size (length x width x height) between 3 bricks x 3 bricks x 1 plate and 32 bricks x 32 bricks x 5 bricks.  The passenger bay (empty space where passengers stand) can be anywhere between 5 bricks and 20 bricks tall.  Width and length are specified in bricks; height is specified in plates.[/li]

[li]Elevators provide bottom print messages, letting players know when they enter and exit the Elevator, which floor the Elevator is on while traveling, and when the Elevator reaches its destination floor.[/li]

[li]Elevators will crush (kill) players and vehicles in its path.  Currently, this occurs whether the Elevator is moving up or down, but eventually there will be a difference.  While moving upward, the Elevator will have no effect on the object.  While moving downward, the Elevator will check if the colliding object is pinned between the Elevator and another object (terrain, interior, bricks, etc.).  If pinned, the object is crushed.  If not pinned, the object is impulsed downward.[/li]

[li]Elevators can play music while traveling.  Currently a specific song is used, but players will eventually be allowed to select from a list of the server's enabled music for playback during travel, even selecting no music at all.  The Elevator also emits a *DING* when arriving at a destination floor.[/li]

[li]Elevators can be equipped with sliding Doors to prevent access to the Elevator shaft.  The Doors will open when an Elevator is stopped on that Door set's floor.  The Doors remain in place even when Elevator settings are changed.  If an Elevators number of floors is decreased, the appropriate Doors are deleted.  Also, if an Elevator is deleted, all of its Doors are deleted as well.  Doors and Door Frames can each be painted separate colors (one color for Doors, one for Frame).[/li]

[li]Elevator platforms can be painted.[/li]

[li]The unified JVS GUI has been updated for Elevator / Elevator Door creation.  The fields in the Elevator section of the GUI populate accordingly for editing existing Elevators.  See attached image.[/li][/list]

Thats pretty much all for now.  I have several good features in the works.  I'll post more once the features starting showing up in-game.  In the meantime, here's a video of my current testing setup in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JidGF311OrU

Thanks for all your interest and support.  I am working fairly consistently on the Elevators Add-On, as work and social life permit.  I'll have them available to you as soon as possible.

Laters.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:18:28 AM by Trader »

Well, Happy Christmas anyways.

How about a good old Music off/on Check, even though I have music off I really don't want to hear that when I have it on other servers.

Well, right now, the decision to play music is made by the person making the Elevator.  I find the music I'm using to be very soothing.  The music plays as a 3D server sound, so everyone in the Elevator would hear it, provided speakers and computer / game volume are set correctly and the player has the music downloaded to his computer.

Hmm... how about a GUI that pops up and you choose what floor you want, anyone who doesn't have the mod can type.

Doors and music!? Very nice.

Keep it up.

I'm going to try to make it so that people who don't have the mod can use /commands.  There's really no way without getting Badspot to add some additional GUIs / message callbacks to have GUIs for people who don't have the mod.  Plus, I really don't care to go out of my way for people that are too lazy / unwilling to download the mod.  If you want mod features, install the mod...end of story.

0_0

A-W-S-O-M-E <= Thats all i can say at this moment...

I think he means when you download, it comes with a GUI for floor selection..

Yes, all GUIs necessary for using the Elevators will be included with the Add-On.  In order for people that don't have the add-on to use GUIs, there'd have to be at least one additional type of standardized GUI / message callback combo built into Blockland itself, and that still would not allow the player to create / modify Elevators / Elevator Doors.