The Doctor Who Discussion Thread - Peter Capaldi is the New Doctor

Author Topic: The Doctor Who Discussion Thread - Peter Capaldi is the New Doctor  (Read 4812 times)

Info
Doctor Who is a British television show (that is now airing more in America). It features a time and space travelling hero with the species of a timelord who goes by the name of 'The Doctor' or just 'Doctor'. This timelord when dying has a feature to change his appearance and 'regenerate' (allowing a different actor to take the role), though if in the process he his shot or killed in some other way he will die forever. His race was killed long ago in a timewar, a giant war between the timelords and the Daleks, the Doctor's most feared enemy. Even though the Doctor was a rouge timelord he still misses his counterparts. He travels in a bigger on the inside police box named 'The TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space)'. Normally he has one or two companions (ranging from a human, to an alien, to a talking tin dog) with him who eventually die or leave. The show started in 1963 and ended in 1989. It was when revived in 2005. So far the show has had 11 Doctors and the current Doctor is played by Matt Smith.

From left to right like a book all the Doctors in chronological order. The new show featured the bottom three.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:01:48 PM by Freeze »

Basically this all started when someone on Outpost Skaro (known for posting various info about Doctor Who and getting it right before) said something is happening on Sunday. Nobody thought much of it. Then, some random person said that at 7pm (GMT) the new Doctor will be announced on BBC One in a half hour special. The fact that it hadn't appeared on our planners was that the BBC was covering it up with Mastermind Repeats.

Nobody thought much of that either, since it was from a random source - until now.
Earlier today Metro posted this article before very quickly removing it: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/01/new-doctor-the-next-doctor-who-lead-actor-to-be-unveiled-this-sunday-on-bbc-one-3908220/ (taken from Google's cache feature).
Now it's come from a reliable source technically.

NOW every other news outlet is saying that we're getting an announcement from the BBC at midnight tonight (which is presumably the announcement of the announcement happening on Sunday).
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-08-01/doctor-who-announcement-imminent

Notes: The person on outpost skaro that posted about a Doctor Who thing happening also posted a picture of Paul Mcgann's face, who has been rumoured to play a part in the 50th anniversary episode or even just be doing a mini-sode for them (which could presumably be a regeneration into John Hurt if the current theory is correct). So who really knows?

Also, Peter Capaldi yesterday had a very large surge of votes in the betting area similar to how Matt Smith did before his announcement. Could this mean he is the new Doctor and we're finally getting an older Doctor?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:02:58 PM by Freeze »

I don't like the current doctor, He made me stop watching.

He's leaving at Christmas so that'd probably be a great place to pick it back up if you want to. Also David Tennant is in the 50th anniversary episode on Nov 23rd so that might be worth watching. :)

I still miss Eccleston ;(

is he the ugly one?

i liked the ninth doctor

i liked the ninth doctor

yes, Eccleston was the best of the new series

I love all the Doctors, but David Tennant was my favourite. :D

9/10 best doctors of recent

Apparently Chris O'Dowd is being talked about by someone VERY reputable on Digital Spy to be the next Doctor, and along with that another short term casting like Eccleston.

Chris O'Dowd wouldn't be the end of the world as the Doctor if he put on an accent like David (no offense I just don't think his plain accent would fit) and they picked the right costume for him. I actually wouldn't mind another short-term Doctor as it would add a bit more variety. If it was only one series maybe Clara would even see two regenerations? :O

EDIT: Please remember though we're getting a new lead every day so who knows.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:22:48 PM by Freeze »

I'm afraid a doctor that I didn't like would throw me off the show completely.

Freeze, you silly goose.
You keep on having to make Doctor Who topics.
There's never enough info all year round for the topic to be updated. Shame.

I always get a smile on my face when I see your DW topics though. :P

Ecclestone is my favourite of the reboot series, just for his sombre dramatic tone.
He really felt troubled by his recent past, which obviously will be revealed in much more detail by the new Anniversary Special Movie and whatnot!
And when he did break that character into enjoyment it was much more special and brought the character to life.
For example, the episode "The Doctor Dances".

David Tennant was also very good. His over-the-top excited style was quite fun, if sometimes a little bit boring.
But his dramatic moments always brought it back to the ground *cue tennant stood in the rain .gif*

Matt Smith is alright, but I've not connected with his character much at all.
I can't help but think that he really did not have a proper style set about him, and he and the writers just kept trying out all sorts of things with him, which never stuck.
Compare that to Ecclestone and Tennant, who seemed to have their characters down and set the moment they appeared on screen, and Smith just came across as amateurish.

The writing for the Smith seasons were also quite poor in comparison to the stories for Ecclestone and Tennant, which seemed consistently good.
The companions were also more annoying with Smith, and the story seemed too focussed upon them.
Throw in how the BBC decided to ridiculously change it's scheduling, and the whole thing just crumbled.

Episodes weren't meaningful, the storylines felt stale, the companions (or rather, Amy) was constantly in the spotlight, episodes were split apart across half a year so the series didn't flow well at all and the Doctor didn't meet the standards set before him.

I've enjoyed the past few Smith series, but I have been disappointed with them, and am in some ways, quite happy to see Smith go.