Is it possible to stop the hacking?

Author Topic: Is it possible to stop the hacking?  (Read 21142 times)

i think it's time you stopped posting
Yes.
The hack is client-sided, it affects the person using it. All I'm saying is that it's better for that then to have the guy who made it discover a way to make the hack affect everyone in the server, without having the host activating it.

pretty much anyone who uses the hack in the first place will probably face the consequence of losing $20

Server sided hacks would be cool. They would pretty much just be .dll add-ons
This is the kinda stuff I worked on prior to Ipquarx being a cigarette and outing us. I've got code for a terrain generator, basic code for a combat system, and some bot control code for NPCs all in C++. Can generate thousands of bricks instantaneously with zero lag, and even if there was lag I could spawn a new thread so the creation of bricks wouldn't hang the processing of Blockland and would run in parallel.

even if there was lag I could spawn a new thread so the creation of bricks wouldn't hang the processing of Blockland and would run in parallel.
Isn't this a setup for a race condition?

Isn't this a setup for a race condition?
What do you mean?

Oh, I see what you mean. Not really, because nothing on the engine is dependent on the bricks I generate. I can insert bricks into the world at any point and during the next tick cycle it will process with them.

It sounds like you're multithreading the creation of bricks but actually adding them in the original thread. Is that right?

This is the kinda stuff I worked on prior to Ipquarx being a cigarette and outing us. I've got code for a terrain generator, basic code for a combat system, and some bot control code for NPCs all in C++. Can generate thousands of bricks instantaneously with zero lag, and even if there was lag I could spawn a new thread so the creation of bricks wouldn't hang the processing of Blockland and would run in parallel.
Would someone have to inject the .dll into their client to be able to join a modded server?

It sounds like you're multithreading the creation of bricks but actually adding them in the original thread. Is that right?
Exactly, but I don't actually insert the bricks into the original thread until it's an appropriate time to do so (via a hook callback). Prior to that I just keep them in a list.

Would someone have to inject the .dll into their client to be able to join a modded server?
Nope.

Uh...
...wasn't he outing you because there were exploits going around, i.e. Computermix's stuff and Dotdot being an ass?

I realize that posting the topic had some negative effects, but I don't think any are all that serious. It was a necessary topic in my opinion.

Uh...
...wasn't he outing you because there were exploits going around, i.e. Computermix's stuff and Dotdot being an ass?
Computermix's hack wasn't even brought up on the forum that we had. It was developed independently of the Blockland Reversing Project. It is not, and will never be condoned by the BRP. The BRP's goals were to research how Blockland operates to facilitate low-level modification of the game for beneficial purposes. Some of the topics we were putting research into include:
  • Selective Ghosting - only ghosting objects to nearby players to effectively defeat things like a maximum brick count
  • In-game Voicechat - allowing clients to communicate with eachother using VoIP protocols
  • Improvements to the ingame audio engine - overthrowing the way audio works to improve auditory experience
  • Third party authentication confirmation - guaranteeing a third party add-on that the user is indeed who they say they are
  • Implementation of JavaScript - allowing modification of Blockland in more than just TorqueScript - a language most coders hate

Are you really suggesting I fight fire with fire? You're saying I should fight illegitimate exe modification by providing an illegitimate exe modification?
Couldn't bad spot build an injector into the game that injects the anti hack at launch?

Computermix's hack wasn't even brought up on the forum that we had. It was developed independently of the Blockland Reversing Project. It is not, and will never be condoned by the BRP. The BRP's goals were to research how Blockland operates to facilitate low-level modification of the game for beneficial purposes. Some of the topics we were putting research into include:
  • Selective Ghosting - only ghosting objects to nearby players to effectively defeat things like a maximum brick count
  • In-game Voicechat - allowing clients to communicate with eachother using VoIP protocols
  • Improvements to the ingame audio engine - overthrowing the way audio works to improve auditory experience
  • Third party authentication confirmation - guaranteeing a third party add-on that the user is indeed who they say they are
  • Implementation of JavaScript - allowing modification of Blockland in more than just TorqueScript - a language most coders hate
Okay I can safely say that none of that was ever mentioned in BRP or to me, and I was there for weeks. As trinick has said in the past himself, the entire forum was inactive. What's there was what was going to be there the entire time.

And for the record, I'm all for dll mods, as long as there's some sort of screening or forced open source system for anything that gets released.

While most of those things are good and would indeed be helpful, none of them were being planned by the entire group as a whole, maybe individually though.

Okay I can safely say that none of that was ever mentioned in BRP or to me, and I was there for weeks. As trinick has said in the past himself, the entire forum was inactive. What's there was what was going to be there the entire time.

And for the record, I'm all for dll mods, as long as there's some sort of screening or forced open source system for anything that gets released.

While most of those things are good and would indeed be helpful, none of them were being planned by the entire group as a whole, maybe individually though.
The forum was inactive, it wasn't our only method of communication. All of these were planned by us as a group but never brought onto the forum, because the forum was where we aggregated all of our research, not discussed our ideas.