Author Topic: Graham's Number - Literally head-imploding  (Read 2142 times)

Where are you stuck? if it's the arrows, I don't fully understand them either.
haha i was just making a joke

It's simple then, we find a way to implant thoughts in our heads, put this number inside someone's head, and then get power somehow from the black hole produced!

That Numberphile is like a year old...

I'm just confused, because I assume that most people are subscribed to Numberphile.

This number is literally so big that you would actually turn into a black hole; if you thought about it until the amount of knowledge inside of your brain made it massive enough to form a singularity and collapse inside of itself into a point where light could not escape.
pics or it doesnt happen

TREE(3) is way larger than Graham's number. Also, since TREE(x) is a function with an enormously fast rate of growth, I'd imagine that TREE(4) would require special notation that would be complicated tenfold.
The mathematician Harvey Friedman observed a special finite form of Kurskal's Tree Theorem. Regarding this form, Friedman discusses the existence of a rapidly growing function he calls TREE(n).

The TREE sequence begins TREE(1)=1 and TREE(2)=3, but TREE(3) is a number so extremely large that its weak lower bound is (A(...A(1)...)), where the number of A's is A(187196), and A() is a version of Ackermann's function: A(x)=2↑↑...↑x with x−1↑s (Knuth up-arrows).

Whereas Graham's Number is A64(4), the above mentioned lower bound is AA(187196). As you can imagine, the TREE function keeps on growing rather quickly. For a discussion on the hierarchy of fast growing functions see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast-growing_hierarchy

There are other examples of numbers greater than Graham's Number, as can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodstein_function#Sequence_length_as_a_function_of_the_starting_value, although I'm not sure if this number is larger than Friedman's TREE(3)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:34:59 AM by Axo-Tak »

I mean, I thought most people had heard of graham's number...

Graham's Number is not noteworthy because it's head-imploding, it's noteworthy because it's one of the few head-imploding numbers that is actually used for something constructive. There are literally an infinite amount of head-imploding numbers: Graham's Number is not special in that regard.

Also, as a side note, I think you can use a carat (^) instead of those awkward arrows; they are more commonly used and can be typed much easier. I could be wrong about that but I don't think I am.

edit: Turns out the arrows are for implied repeated multiplication or something. I think. I'm not sure why they do it but I don't presume to know more than mathematicians. Disregard the above sentence.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:33:28 AM by Bloody Mary »

TREE(3) is way larger than Graham's number. Also, since TREE(x) is a function with an enormously fast rate of growth, I'd imagine that TREE(4) would require special notation that would be complicated tenfold.
Well that escalated quickly.

Graham's Number is not noteworthy because it's head-imploding, it's noteworthy because it's one of the few head-imploding numbers that is actually used for something constructive. There are literally an infinite amount of head-imploding numbers: Graham's Number is not special in that regard.

Also, as a side note, I think you can use a carat (^) instead of those awkward arrows; they are more commonly used and can be typed much easier. I could be wrong about that but I don't think I am.

edit: Turns out the arrows are for implied repeated multiplication or something. I think. I'm not sure why they do it but I don't presume to know more than mathematicians. Disregard the above sentence.

yeah, aren't carats used for exponents ie. 6^3 = 6³ ?

yeah, aren't carats used for exponents ie. 6^3 = 6³ ?
Yes. It's because when you type it's not convenient to write a number above your own to indicate exponential multiplication; the carat is a way of showing that the number after it is above the first number by about half a line's worth. In real life you can just write a little bit above the number, so if you use a carat to indicate an exponent you'll probably get laughed out of your math class or something.