Author Topic: Shaders Help (Mac)!  (Read 3479 times)

What are you talking about
all computers use pixels, including Macs, and pretty much every monitor after 2003 can support a decent resolution.
It's a joke, he's saying Macs come with higher resolutions than the average PC which is pretty true. Laptops that come with Windows usually have 1366x768 resolution and I believe that's it, I don't think you can configure it any higher (at least when I bought mine). Mac laptops have 1400x900 and you can configure it to like 1600x900, I believe they have "retina" displays and they used to have a glossy version or something (I don't remember what the glossy was).

Thank you Altiris. Exactly what I meant.

i've seen lots of windows laptops that support 1920x1080, which is way more than a mac laptop

some more expensive macs can have video cards that are somewhat decent, but most of what i've seen isn't good for gaming

a lot of games aren't even compatable on mac, and usually the mac's hardware is not enough to run games at higher than lowest settings
Yeah, a lot of games aren't compatible with Macs, but that's the developer's fault, so it isn't an issue at the moment. I hope you're not serious about the above bolded text, though (unless you're testing these games on pre-2006 models). I run multiple games (even certain windows games) on my Mac; almost all of them at medium or higher graphics settings. And that's running on a 2008 model with Intel Core 2 Duo and only 256mb of video RAM.

Also, all Macs are expensive, there's not much of a reason to separate them into categories. :/

I run multiple games (even certain windows games) on my Mac; almost all of them at medium or higher graphics settings. And that's running on a 2008 model with Intel Core 2 Duo and only 256mb of video RAM.
first of all what games
and second of all there is no way you can run most new games at those settings with more than 20 fps
unless you are playing some old games like gta sa or something like that

I have your solution. Buy a copy of Windows 7/8 Install Disc. Download "Boot Camp" This software is made by Apple and allows you to install Windows on a Mac.
Then, install Windows and boot it. Your shaders will work fine on windows.

noedit: I feel for you if you don't have enough money to buy Windows.

first of all what games
and second of all there is no way you can run most new games at those settings with more than 20 fps
unless you are playing some old games like gta sa or something like that
How is there no way? I'm telling you that I have done it.

For games, I've run some Star Trek 3D rpg (windows game using Wine to run), Minecraft on pretty much the highest settings (which is more taxing than it sounds because Java and other reasons), TF2, Star Conflict, Mars Explorer, a trucking simulator, and a few other random games. Also (even though I can't do shadows), Blockland gets a minimum of 60 FPS for me, up to 120 or more, with shaders on. Everything else maxed out too. None of these (except for Minecraft and TF2) are very taxing on my computer on high settings, but get this; my friend was able to run HL2 and Assassin's Creed II (plus some other game with even better graphics that I can't remember) on at least medium or higher settings on his 2006 MacBook Pro - and that's a 2006 model we're talking about.

Now, keep in mind here; I am not claiming that this is impressive for a computer, because it isn't. But it is by no means as horrible as you're making it out to be.