Author Topic: The day i was without power :"D  (Read 946 times)

Before I tell the story I would just like to tell you that i am living there has been really strange weather and lighting storms.
I also had a dream the day before all this happened that there was a black out caused by lightning but the lighting was terrorist and almost everyone died.

Alright, So It was a normal day, yesterday actually, I was on the computer watching a youtube video when suddenly all the lights in my house started dimming until everything shut off. The power quickly turned back on after about 5 minutes and i resumed the youtube video. Then the lights started dimming again then they went on full power and after that everything went dark. I went downstairs to where my brother and mother where setting up candles. I went on my phone to ask if anyone power and everyone in the 2 cities and the city i was in were out of power.

My mother and i lit up the house with candles, we then called people and used facebook to see if anyone had power and how far the blackout stretched. Everyone was just posting about how they had no power (we had wifi because our 2wire router has a back up battery and we also had mobile data). For a bit we thought the blackout was nationwide cause one of our relatives posted about a blackout but it was irrelevant to our situation. So for about 2 hours my mother and i just talked to people on the phone and used facebook.  When our phones were low on battery i decided to go to lowes (1 minute longboard from my house) to get a power inverter so we could charge things in the car.

I went to lowes to find out they were out (be aware it was around 8pm and the whole city and surrounding cities were without power) lowes has a backup generator by the way. I returned home to tell my mom the bad news that we could not get a power inverter. I later looked up on my phone that homedepot had some in stock. So i convinced my mother to drive us there. This was a pretty bad idea since outside was pitch black and not a single traffic light and home depot was the exact opposite side of town.

We drove to home depot with the only thing lighting the way was other car lights, we saw multiple accidents on the way. While i was on facebook i learned the cause of the blackout was that lightning had struck the power plant and it was on fire. the estimated time till power would be restored was 24 hours. At home depot we picked up multiple flashlights and a power inverter, we left home depot and returned home.

When we returned home we got some electronics we wanted to use in the car and stayed in there with the AC, i forgot to mention it was the hotest and most humid day all summer. so the only cool place was inside the car, it was about 10pm when we decided to actually go back inside the house. I decided i might as well go to bed but right as i was about to go to bed the power came back on at about 11:50.

So basically my whole city was without power for around 5 hours :D

Sounds fun. Haha. I don't like power outages. They aren't fun.

In October of 2011, New England was hit with a nasty snowstorm. It knocked out power for me for about 36 hours, and some people in my town were without power for something like 4 days.

No heat. In the dead of winter.

I was lucky that my house was on the same grid as the police station, so we had priority.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:09:47 PM by dkamm65 »

I had a blackout for 2 weeks during an Ice storm once.

Get on my level.

Haha. You must have thought it was the apocalypse or something for a few minutes.

I had a blackout for 2 weeks during an Ice storm once.

Get on my level.

And with that, some assclown had turned this into a pissing contest.

We haven't had an outage sinces 2009.
I love power outages. :c

We haven't had an outage sinces 2009.
I love power outages. :c
I really don't i need electricity especially when it is the hottest most humid day of the year and there is no AC :"D

I can't remember exactly how we lost power, I know it was winds but I can't remember what storm had caused them

Anyways, my family gets our power from a line tied off of an already rural line, this means we're basically dead ass last to getting our power turned back on

So around us just about everyone in our and the neighboring counties lost power, and I mean everyone.  So it was the middle of the summer, probably around a 100 degrees, no cooling, for I think it was a week, if not a week and a half.  It sucked major richard.

I remember when we had no power for almost a month because of Sandy, it was god awful. It was a nightmare.

I lose power alot during the summer

No power during Sandy for 2.5 weeks. We had a generator, but gas was scarce during that time as everyone lined up at gas pumps. My dad called his friend in upstate New York and he drove down to our house with a huge tank in the back of his pickup truck and some several gas jugs (and apparently had a Dan Wesson under his seat in case anyone tried to rob him of the gas...yeah, it was that bad.) It was enough gas to fill both of our family's cars (GMC Yukon and Suburban), as well as some extra for the generator. I don't even want to ask my dad how much it cost, but no one really cared during this time. We could only use the generator for hot water (didn't last very long) and overnight, the refrigerator. When neither of those were running, we back fed the house with electricity after disconnecting the main power from the street (in case it turned back on, we wouldn't blow up the generator) so we could use electronics all over, but there wasn't any internet anyway so we just charged our phones. Supermarkets all over were either closed or packed with people. I remember my dad getting pissed at our neighbor for going out and talking to the people who finally showed up to fix our poles and get us back on the grid, because all he was doing was stalling their work, and it was almost dark out. We woke up in the morning and the power had turned back on. I could finally take a decently hot shower, it was the greatest.

I think my household only lost power once, for like 10 seconds

I was like "Horry shet! :c"

power outages actually are pretty fun
until you get bored

power outages actually are pretty fun
until you get bored
got bored in the first 5 minutes :'D