Author Topic: Prop Hunt Gamemode  (Read 10063 times)

Saw a video of PewDiePie's of the gamemode, one of the only ones that really made me laugh

This seems like it would be a great thing to have in Blockland, maybe players can hide as a weapon, vehicle, or block model. TTT seemed like it made a great transition from GM to BL, it's one of my favorite gamemodes now. So I'm thinking that maybe this would do the same

If you don't know what Prop Hunt is, then here's what it is.
Basically two players- the hiders, go around the map quickly trying to find a hiding place, and something to disguise themselves as. They select something and then take the shape of what they clicked on

The seekers have weapons and spawn a little bit after the hiders. They try to kill the hiders

That's what I got from the videos I watched anyways

That actually sounds good
but the problem is: PROPS. What are we going to replace props with?
Bump.

marble man made this once i remember playing it

My version:

A player has an item called a "Disguise"
When they use that item on a brick with dimensions smaller or equal to 8x8x8, they disguise
Disguising is hiding the player and having a brick with no collision follow them around
if they move or turn around, the brick will flash white
Small dots come off of the brick every couple of seconds

You can only disguise as bricks on the map

Ok, I need a fellow coder to back me up on this statement, but would it be possible to have a map with a lot of fancy, non-standard dts bricks (like a filing cabinet or shrub), and when you click on a brick, it grabs its .dts file, creates a new player type datablock (standard player with a couple modifications; shapefile and bounding box), and sets the player as that datablock? The datablock would be deleted upon becoming a new shape or when the player dies. Someone tell me if this is feasible; if it is, I might give it a go.

Also, Marble, that sounds quite interesting, are you planning to release it?

EDIT: Also, could I just package PropHuntPlayer::onActivate() for clicking on bricks instead of creating an item for the player to hold?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:59:46 AM by BluetoothBoy »

I'm no coder so I could be completely wrong, but it sounds like constantly creating and deleting new datablocks several times per round could be quite laggy

Scriode is working on this, you type /prop with a brick selected and you turn into it.

Scriode is working on this, you type /prop with a brick selected and you turn into it.
YEEsssss

I quit working on it. I have other things going on that takes my time from programming. Sorry
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:45:57 PM by Scriode »

I'll give you guys 2 options

Fix up and distribute old version of prop hunt I made

Re-write and do what scriode was doing

I quit working on it. I have other things going on that takes my time from programming. Sorry
I'll give you guys 2 options
Fix up and distribute old version of prop hunt I made
Re-write and do what scriode was doing
If you guys aren't going to work on it, can you post a link to what you have done so someone else can finish it up?

If you guys aren't going to work on it, can you post a link to what you have done so someone else can finish it up?
I'll get it off my other computer in a bit

I'm no coder so I could be completely wrong, but it sounds like constantly creating and deleting new datablocks several times per round could be quite laggy
No, I'm pretty sure creating a datablock wouldn't create any lag. Basically, it's just turning a bunch of data into a reusable resource. The problems start when you try to create/load a datablock to the server and the clients connected don't have the resources to load them properly. Subsequently, those clients crash.