Author Topic: PSA: Understanding "Spool-Up"  (Read 4230 times)

BUSHIDO PRESENTS

Understanding "Spool-Up"
or, 'why are stuff servers so consistently popular?'

when selecting a server, players have a tendency to choose servers that already have other players present. even the most misanthropic, lonely-type players will choose popular servers over unpopular servers, because in that case at the very least they will have other players to pour their misanthropy and loneliness all over. this is a simple fact of life, and probably stems somehow to basic human nature.

and also the fact that they're higher on the server list.

in situations where servers do not have enough players present to attract players faster then players leave, they are in a state which is referred to as the spool-up period. servers in this state are often noted to fluctuate in player count, but it should be noted that this count usually hangs around the 4 or 5 player mark, and will drop randomly. in order to break spool up, usually all you need to do is break the 6-player threshold, and stay there long enough to attract more players. the comparison i usually make is to an engine- in order to get any power, the engine must have enough energy from an outside source (in this case, a starter motor) to suck in enough gas to get in rolling; after which point it will use the energy from the present gasoline to suck in more gasoline.

as such, there is a way to essentially skip the spool-up phase- simply have enough players on the server 'artificially' to attract players from the server list. drag them in from external sources, like your RTB friends list or steam- they can usually return to what they were doing before soon enough, after enough players have joined to make sure the server is self-sufficient even after they've left. you could, alternately, build a fanbase for your server- a naturalized solution that also makes use of the RTB friends list's feature to alert people to when you are hosting. in this instance, players are simply alerted to when you first start hosting your server, and are prompted to join by an RTB dialogue, allowing your server broad coverage and allowing it to attract players despite spool-up.

so in other words, yes- spool-up is a real pain in the ass, but you can in fact kill it with the power of friendship

or with high-quality server content

or slave labor

whatever floats your boat, really.

we kinda knew this already but sure
i guess we should actually do it now though thanks

we can defeat the horrible servers with the power of friendship
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:16:50 AM by The Resonte! »

i'm making it plainly obvious

in case people didn't believe in the power of friendship you see

just run blockland 6 times if its that big a deal.

people would catch on

if you look at the player list it'd be super obvious that the server isnt actually popular, and the guy would just leave again

get 5 other alts and have them all join your server

that'd work

get 5 other alts and have them all join your server

that'd work
They would all be idle when you spawned, meaning it's useless for anything cooperative (a TDM), but not for anything singleplayer (a challenge server or quest rpg thing).

Bushido sometimes tells me in a server to invite more people to join, when the fact of the matter is, all of my friends either hate bushido or T+T (or a deadly combination) and his quake-arena deathmatches usually die in a matter of time. I know this has more to do with you specifically but I'm trying to relate here. Again we see another decline in the playercount of a high-quality server, or struggle to get tons of people to join and make it more fun for the existing fellows who are considering joining that family rp over there that has 16 people in it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:29:38 AM by Racerboy »

also that's an extra 50 bucks

that's practical for like 3 dudes and that's basically the only practical thing about them

holy forget why did this die so fast

because of all 7 of those greenlight topics buried this

you didn't have enough people

lol irony

It'd really help if players didn't just pick from the top of the server list.

this only proves more that we should be able to rate servers 1/5

you only got 4 unique posters

This isn't true about any server I've hosted before. Mine usually grow fairly quick.