Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Roguelike  (Read 2035 times)

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
A Post-Apocalyptic Roguelike

You emerge from the shelter into the dim light of an overcast day, and look around for the first time since the disaster.

The world as you knew it is gone and in its place, a twisted mockery of all that was once familiar.

Everything was cast aside in that frantic race for the shelter. You have no food, nothing to drink, no weapons. Nothing but your ingenuity and the fierce determination to survive against appalling odds.

A grim prospect faces you. Perhaps worse even than the nightmares of last night, when you were tortured by dreams of the dead themselves rising to jealously tear life from the living.

You cast your eyes up the road and begin to walk towards a house in the far distance. Things may be bad right now, but you've got a sinking feeling that there are darker days ahead.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, or CDDA for short, is a post apocalyptic zombie roguelike, where the player, one of the few survivors of the apocalypse, must survive in a desolated and zombie infested region of New England, battling the living, the dead, and things not to be named. The player will face overwhelming odds and be at a disadvantage at almost every turn, with even minor decisions, such as taking an extra can of food or not wearing that jacket may mean life or death. The player must scavenge for food, water, and medicine while battling the living dead and despair.

The player must all everything at his or her disposal to survive. Rig a flamethrower out of bottles, a hose, and a length of pipe, carve out a simple bow from a 2x4 and good string, turning bottles of gin into molotov roostertails, and setting up shotgun traps are just some of the things the player may do to survive. Trek the wilderness in search of food and water, stalking prey and wayward zombies with your reflex bow, or barricade a house and eliminate zombies piecemeal from fortified defensive positions, or modify a car to become a death mobile and obliterate everything in your path (Just remember to not run out of gas). You will adapt to the apocalypse and become a strong, skilled survivor, reading instruction manuals and training weapon skills and trade skills, or die at the hands of the living dead or worse.

Screenshots

In this scene, a player battles for his life in a ruined city.

Here, a player takes his heavily customized speed machine up to absolutely ludicrous speeds. His engines did not survive.

Here, a player shows his status menu, along with all the status effects his character has managed to accumulate.

Downloads
Windows
Linux
The Mac version is not up to date, but the Windows version runs great under Wine. Mac users can natively play 0.6 however.
Mac 0.6
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:09:48 PM by Tomcat »

So much letters!
They're working on a graphical tileset for those who don't like ASCII.

I was waiting for another topic for this game, There are other Cataclysm mods/remakes too, Not as good though.

I have so many drugs stockpiled.

Neat game. I would personally like to see more of a directive though; there are not a lot of objectives aside from "find stuff and don't die".

This is so loving awesome. I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere on the forums and I played loads of it, but then I somehow managed to forget it was a thing and I stopped playing. Nice to see a thread on this.