Is it possible to port this Blockhead model made by Metube for SFM or even Gmod?

Author Topic: Is it possible to port this Blockhead model made by Metube for SFM or even Gmod?  (Read 4858 times)

i support this, for me the blockhead models in gmod have a few bugs and can be hard to pose with sometimes
They have some glitches with the pants part I believe

He lurks:
Oh I see.

I think DarkStar might have moved on to making minecraft animations, he made a minecraft rig and I recognise it, it's the same rig VMComix uses. Maybe VMComix is DarkStar.

I think DarkStar might have moved on to making minecraft animations, he made a minecraft rig and I recognise it, it's the same rig VMComix uses. Maybe VMComix is DarkStar.
I can confirm this as DarkStar's metube channel used to show off the Blockhead rig leads to VMComix's channel, and DarkStar did show off a Minecraft video that used a rig he made that used that one creepy record in Minecraft that's just a bunch of sounds

Also, i managed to get the rig into Milkshape 3D with the skeleton and bone weights in tact, however, non-Blender applications can't use the IKs and certain other bones like Blender can, so i have to reconfigure some parts of the Blockhead's skeleton, fix the smoothing, then start getting it into Source

However, i might not make it for Garry's Mod as that requires extra work for the physics, and possible face posing

Bump

I've made some progress since this picture was made, but SFM crashed while i was working on the new picture

Edit: Oops, i broke the ambient occlusion, oh well, no AO for this picture then

Edit 2: Done away with in game customizing due to limits with skingroups and bodygroups, after losing the ability to color individual body parts and not having selectable face and torso decals, having only selectable faces or selectable torsos didn't seem worth keeping, so the only customization is changing the eyes and mouth (normal, desu, female (doesn't use the female mouth though))

Skins will now work like the skins for the current Blockheads for Gmod how the body part colors and the torso decal are all in one texture and face decals aren't selectable, but do exist in the materials folder for development reasons

Anyway
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:17:33 AM by Masterlegodude »

Lookin' good! However, I think I'm sticking to Blender for animating: I hope to be doing an animation with DarkStar's model soon. Depends on how much time I have.

Oh god this is so perfect, thank you so damn much!

My heart weeps because of that tube waist.

I've been reporting updates to Filipe, even though he doesn't understand my mumbo jumbo Source Engine speak, but i'll post about the updates here now that i've made some progress

I removed an unnecessary bone for the hands (old), figured out how to connect the actual hand bones to the arm bones (old, and thanks to Blender not being a headache like MS3D), resized the Blockhead to be the same size as the current Gmod Blockhead so that it's compatible with the accessories (recent-ish), fixed the positions of the finger bones (recent-ish, and again, thanks to Blender), redone texture sheet to incorporate the face decal (recent, the eyes and mouth will be layered over hair and glasses now, but now there's no more ugly transparency issues with certain faces)

And now i'm working on Blockheads based on the ones from the Gmod Blockland pack

At some future point i will release the accessories and have them able to be bone merged to the Blockhead so that people won't have to manually adjust the items onto the Blockhead

Looks awesome, I can't wait!

<pictures>

Just be careful if you're doing poses like the middle one, it gets a little confusing seeing which floating hand belongs to which body. The hips part looks a bit too small and the smooth curve of the piece stands out from the rest of the model. The model's great, there's just that one piece I don't like.

Just be careful if you're doing poses like the middle one, it gets a little confusing seeing which floating hand belongs to which body. The hips part looks a bit too small and the smooth curve of the piece stands out from the rest of the model. The model's great, there's just that one piece I don't like.
The hip is the one in DarkStar's Blender rig, so i'd rather not change it

Also, i wasn't sure how to do a pose like that with the Blockheads, so i just kind of winged it on the hands

Some minor thing i may or may not be able to keep, i made the bone structure less of a mess of purple diamonds, it's now got armature like most Valve ragdolls

Obviously you can't see it in that picture, but it's a picture i took after getting it working, so you'll just have to believe me on that one
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:34:43 PM by Masterlegodude »

No hats :(
Later

It's a repetitive process and it'll further delay the Blockheads, for now i'm just gonna make the skins from the Gmod pack and then release it (MLD and Filipe skins not included)

I may also have to rig certain items like the cape, backpack, bucket, etc so that they work better with the bendy body of the Blockhead
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:30:06 PM by Masterlegodude »