Author Topic: Soft shadows  (Read 86862 times)

Soft shadows won't initialize for me: "Undeclared identifier: gl_FragColor."

Sapphire Radeon HD6850

Soft shadows won't initialize for me: "Undeclared identifier: gl_FragColor."

Sapphire Radeon HD6850

How come it works for everyone else? Can you run normal shadows? Are you sure you didn't leave out any characters when copying the file?

How come it works for everyone else? Can you run normal shadows? Are you sure you didn't leave out any characters when copying the file?

I run everything max at 40-60 FPS.  I'm pretty sure the whole thing copied, but just to be sure, I'll go line by line.

ETA: I've got it.  I basically messed up ZSNO's "non-destructive" method.  I'm getting 10-16 FPS with the optimized shader.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:22:08 AM by Sevara »

how did you manage to make the image so low quality
?

I thought softer shadows needed less gpu though.

I mean, v19 shadows options just made them softer when you made them low

I thought softer shadows needed less gpu though.

I mean, v19 shadows options just made them softer when you made them low
The low v19 shadow was just a circle texture
These softer shadows render the shadow multiple times
Basically if something looks nicer it generally runs slower.

would it be possible to just have ambient occlusion?

Normally, the game does 1 shadow map lookup per screen fragment. With soft shadows, for every blur phase, it does (dist*2/step+1)3 shadow map lookups per screen fragment and averages them, then applies post-processing.

For the performance optimized version, it does one blur phase with, by default, dist=0.05 and step=0.025. That's 125 lookups per screen fragment.

For the ultra graphics version, it has two blur phases, one at 0.05, 0.025 and the other at 0.5, 0.25. That's 250 lookups per screen fragment plus some blending and stuff.

So why can't we use the baked shader idea?

So why can't we use the baked shader idea?

Because we have no way of interfering with anything that could do that.
No, I don't consider injecting or modifying linked libraries a viable option.

Just for giggles, I'm taking an 8x megashot of the Golden Gate Bridge (slowest default build) with the ultra graphics soft shader.  It's already been about 10 minutes.

Just for giggles, I'm taking an 8x megashot of the Golden Gate Bridge (slowest default build) with the ultra graphics soft shader.  It's already been about 10 minutes.
Have fun with a nonworking picture file. From my experience anything over 4x megashot produces a non-working file.