Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 860757 times)

Other goid starters would be Fiat Uno, Ford Ka, VW Gol, Suzuki Fun, Citroën C3, Chevrolet Classic/Corsa, and Toyota Etios.

Other goid starters would be Fiat Uno, Ford Ka, VW Gol, Suzuki Fun, Citroën C3, Chevrolet Classic/Corsa, and Toyota Etios.
You know I live in the US right

You don't have those models in the US?

You don't have those models in the US?
Um... No lol... I think we had the Ford Ka at one point iirc but that looks like a peice of stuff from what i heard about it

Um... No lol... I think we had the Ford Ka at one point iirc but that looks like a peice of stuff from what i heard about it
It's a Beetle pretty much.

I plan to get a Fiat Uno, the boxy one.

I prefer the Fiat Dos, the boxy two.

Never owned or used one. However, I'd go for the Gol, Clio, or Up if you have those choices available.

congrations
thank u

i might get a pic of it later although it's nothing too special it's not too bad

Never owned or used one. However, I'd go for the Gol, Clio, or Up if you have those choices available.
My budget is low, I won't be able to afford a new car, that's why when the time comes I plan to get an used Uno since out of the cars you mentioned it's the cheapest for maintenance and it has a pretty good gas mileage.

I'm looking for used too because 0km cars here are ridiculously expensive. I was looking at the VW Polo and Gol. I really want a diesel so that limits what I can buy.

what would be a good mileage range, assuming the car is second hand, to look for? and what would be a year model that isnt too old? my dad has been giving me some advice here but i'd like to hear outside opinion since im pretty sure both of us arent too into cars

if u wanna save money, the higher the mileage the better, pay no attention to mileage and all attention on maintenance. after 60k miles from new is when a lot of things start needing to be replaced, and even more so at 120k

to put things into perspective, my 330ci has 124k miles; here is a list of about 66% of the things both i and the previous owners have done to it since ~40k miles. some things done more than once. A lot of this is nitpicky preventative maintenance done by enthusiasts, which most people never do-- most people just pay shops to fix-as-needed. driving a car until a problem becomes blatant usually paves the way for more problems to arise sooner

My 2001 bmw at 120k miles ($6k usd) is more mechanically sound than my friend's mom's 2015 impala at 50k miles (tf ik uhhhhhh at least $22k usd). there's a small list of things wrong with that car, but it's still driven because "that light on the dash doesn't matter, it still goes when i need it to." i don't trust people who have a check engine light on in a car they're trying to sell and say "it's an easy fix, not a big deal, it drives just fine" unless i know the reason for the cel is only emissions related. if it's an easy fix then fix it before trying to sell the car loser

of course brand, model, age, etc. all play a role as well. some things will need replacing strictly because it's old as stuff. bmw builds cars for people who either A) have the money to pay for the proper upkeep, or B) are enthusiasts and willing to put in the work for the performance - they all come juiced from the factory which is why they don't respond worth a stuff to mods - whereas honda builds cars that are idiot proof and meant to last, essentially coming de-tuned from the factory for reliability; my coworker's tsx (acura is honda) made mad gains (relative to stock power ofc) off a tune / headers / exhaust

another thing i might as well mention is engine type - a straight 6 like in my car can go +300k miles without an engine rebuild (might not be in my case since i rev the piss out of it), since that configuration is perfectly balanced, whereas half of the used suburas for sale on this planet have a head gasket ready to blow/already blown at only 100k miles with their signature gay flat 4 layout

tl;dr - bored at work, just rambling on between typing up documentation for some file server. got like 3 hours of sleep lmao-- mileage: doesnt matter, year: nothing older than '80 i guess

idk about the selection down there in aus but in the usa if you don't want to worry about repair costs or maintenance the go-to is usually any common toyota or honda, or any w-body chevy/pontiac/buick/gm. but if you're willing to put in the research and have access to even basic tools you can get p much whatever within reason
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:21:23 AM by Zloff »

Read it all, thanks for the advice. i'll post back here when we decide and get it, in a month or two

Zloff, how would a toyota corrola play out in terms of mods like intake / fuel delivery (like carburated to injection) / exhaust mods and such like that
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:13:32 PM by Insert Name Here² »

< came late, no parking spots in uni parking
< see hill where a car can't park in due to steep.
< climb it, wheels lose traction
< don't give a stuff because AWD. set AWD and climbed like a boss
< go to class
< 2 hs later, security calls me
< didn't put handbrake, truck is blocking the road
< put truck back and set brake

I thought automatic transmissions didn't need the handbrake.